Best attempt at "polishing a turd" I've ever seen...

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Voyager1968, Jan 14, 2020.

1. 062

062 Road Train Member

Oct 20, 2013
    Just a guess from the code towards the bottom.
    Dollar general bethel pa.

tscottme and sevenmph Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Judge

Judge Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2014
    Arkansas
    D72CE2F2-3BFB-4ABC-B8B6-1E7981DEF125.jpeg 7659FAB9-0A5C-4B0F-9961-65AEB53990FA.jpeg
    You were right.
    It did fit!

4. wis bang

wis bang Road Train Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Levittown, PA
    42 years in this business allowed me to develop the fine art of being the company 'spin doctor' for various service failure reporting customers...I thought I was good but whoever wrote that one could truly sell refrigerators to Eskimos!

tscottme, sevenmph and buddyd157 Thank this.
  5. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
  6. 062

062 Road Train Member

Oct 20, 2013
  7. SmallPackage

SmallPackage Road Train Member

Dec 20, 2019
    Marion Texas
    Most of the Dollar General stores around here have small parking lots 20 cars barely fit in and you have to back into them off a Busy 2 lane highway. Do that all day everyday. Stress ain't worth the pay.

tscottme and sevenmph Thank this.
  8. Brandonpdx

Brandonpdx Road Train Member

Dec 27, 2007
    Elkhart, IN
    Well $1700 a week is not a bad paying company job. It's the "up to" part that is concerning. And yes these are notoriously bad places to try to get a sleeper cab with a 53 footer into. I did a little route in upstate NY and New England for awhile delivering furniture. Loads weighed nothing and they didn't care at all where I fueled up or any of that crap but let me tell you some of those places were scary to get into the first couple of times and I actually even got stuck and got the cops called on me once in New Hampshire trying to get out of a place, and that was after the delivery customer was a total jerk. Like a lot of crappy jobs it was like "well, it wouldn't have been THAT bad if weren't for this, this and that..."

tscottme and Judge Thank this.
  9. Pete jockey

Pete jockey Medium Load Member

Feb 28, 2015
    North of Pittsburgh Pa
    Promised big sign on bonus is usually a clue to stay away

10. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I will see if I can take a pot shot using the camera phone at one of two locations. One is in particular quite damning.

You go into the store via the front doors and seems all is well. The snarly morale loss among the mean and angry cougar (Mountain lions) at the register should give you a hint.

Go straight back until you discover a corner side door. Open enter. You will behold a room about 50 feet long, 20 wide ending at the side dock at the other end from your doorway at the rear of the store.

The other thing you will notice is piles. As thrown down piles of boxes of unopened and uninventoried, unpriced product, some past their expry dates. Has seeped the cardboards and are making nice little smears on the cement floor now. Do NOT whatever you do sniff any of hat closely. It has not been properly cleaned in a year and odors will cause you to projectile vomit instantly.

Still want that dollar store account? Then I cannot help you, not even Gabriel can either. Not with the arch angels Michael in battle on his behalf.

11. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Rolltainers?

We called those racks at the nursery. Had to fold them when they were empty and then re-secured them. Watch your fricking fingers.

6 loads per trailer to drop off 3 to 5 loads a week, sounds perfect like the typical NE LTL BS I used do on way less than that. Those dollar figures are just adjusted for inflation from the 90's If you were smart, you loaded one time in Yakima WA for Boston Produce market, downtown in Chelsea Mass and drive the 3100 miles solo to be there on the 6th day or so. Plenty of time for your disaptcher to have you back in Yakima WA in 6 days.

As long you were paid about 0.65 or better per mile the inflational equal to 0.48 in 2001, you are going to see that there is good money with a conservation of physical labor. Throwing chain is about the worst of it. Along with pallets twice a month in Boston.

If you were very careful with stacking your excess payroll into savings And made sure your owner, boss etc was aware that you are conserving time off to a minimum. It is not considered time truly off until you are at home unable to see your parked rig anywhere. Especially with a angry wife who has been boiling over for 6 months waiting on your return. You better show her 15,000 dollars for her trouble. Or you don't have a wife anymore.

Eventually within a year or two after your reliability has been proven and tested, you will be able to run 9 months of the year in good weather relatively speaking and go home for several months to seriously rest up and enjoy your family during winters. Your job will be ready for you when you get back to the yard in about late February or around early march at the latest. You are going to keep going until minimum Late October. Before going home.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.