Best cell phone/data plan for truckers

Discussion in 'Cellular - Voice - Data' started by mitmaks, Aug 3, 2014.

1. lfod14

lfod14 Road Train Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Nope, Verizon doesn't charge extra for hotspot. If they did, rooting could hide that so they couldn't tell the difference between phone usage vs hotspot usage.

Sprint and T-Mobile have unlimited data plans. Depending on where you travel that may or may not be doable.

Going with MVNO's can save you money as well. If you look into them here are the networks they use

Cricket, H20 Wireless, Straight Talk =AT&T

Virgin, Boost = Sprint

Straight Talk (again), Simple Mobile, Walmart Family Mobile = T-Mobile

Cricket has really good deals, they are now owned by AT&T they do throttle at 8MB download but for the saving its well worth it.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. d o g

d o g Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 20, 2010
    Texas
    They do if you're not on a Share Everything or More Everything plan.

4. mathematrucker

mathematrucker Medium Load Member

Sep 14, 2006
    Laughlin, NV
    With any grandfathered unlimited data plan they do charge extra for hotspot. Based on the knowledge displayed in your posts here I'm surprised you thought the reason they don't charge for it is because users can get around it by rooting their phone. That can't possibly be the reason, because they did charge for it on very rootable, Android phones.

My knowledge of mobile isn't all that strong, but I'm pretty sure the reason they don't charge for hotspot now is because they don't offer any unlimited data plans anymore: They don't give a hoot how you use your limited data.

5. mathematrucker

Sep 14, 2006
    Laughlin, NV
    Point well taken, but I still think it's valid to claim in a truckers' forum that the reason you can root your Android phone is because it's based on an open source platform.

6. mathematrucker

Sep 14, 2006
    Laughlin, NV
    Based on what I am reading here and already knew before, if you want unlimited data "everywhere" it sounds to me like an unlimited data plan with Sprint is the way to go. I went into a Sprint store a couple years ago and thought they told me they don't have unlimited anymore, but maybe they just said they were about to drop it and then never did.

Again, is there any alternative to Sprint (and pricey mobile satellite internet options...they do exist but they cost you) nowadays for unlimited "everywhere"?

7. mitmaks

mitmaks Road Train Member

May 16, 2014
    Sounds like you're in same boat as me. That's after Im after as well. I want unlimited internet connection that I can use anywhere in 48 states. I had hot spot with at&t for about a month. It was supposed to be like $50 and Im not sure how many GB I had. We have 3 computers in our house and mine didn't pick up signal very well for some reason. I went back and returned it. It actually came out to be more expensive than $50, there were some hidden charges. I ended up with century link dsl. First 1/2 year it was $30 and now Im paying like $63 and I have 24mb/s connection, no limit on data or anything. If I could find something like that for when I'm over the road I'd be all set.

8. Balakov100

Balakov100 Road Train Member

May 10, 2012
    Temple, TX
    Best bet is to get an old Unlimited Plan from Verizon or ATT through eBay. Sometimes you might be able to find one for a decent amount of money.

mathematrucker Thanks this.
  9. mitmaks

mitmaks Road Train Member

May 16, 2014
    that's good suggestion. I'm checking out deals on ebay right now. Looks like I can buy "grandfathered" plan or even get a jetpack with unlimited data on it.

10. glenn71

glenn71 Medium Load Member

Jul 13, 2013
    Data is more important than phone service. My phone is not really my phone; its my connection to the web, and it just happens to have a calling feature. I never come close to any minutes limit, but I routinely use 5 gig or more in data. Hell, the ability to text may be more important than phone service. I almost always text first to ask someone to call me at their convenience. I don't call someone directly unless it's really important or I'm returning their call.

mathematrucker Thanks this.
  11. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    my sprint phone runs circles around my verizon phone. both are the same models.

i've had 3 crap phones with verizon. i'm seriously thinking of cancelling and going back to sprint that i've NEVER had a crappy phone with. specially since they'll soon have the bigger footprint over verizon. with that new fcc approval they acquired last year.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.