Best Flatbed Starter Companies

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by Chris Brooks, Mar 11, 2016.

1. Army91W

Army91W Heavy Load Member

Nov 3, 2006
    San Antonio, TX
    When you're driving across Wyoming in the middle of winter and vans can barely keep
    It on the road, you'll be glad you're driving a flatbed.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Gunner75

Gunner75 Road Train Member

Mar 17, 2014
    Jackson Center Ohio
    Or driving across i80/90 in Ohio when they have a "high profile vehicle ban"

ZephyrSoCal and LilRedRidingHood Thank this.
  4. Army91W

Army91W Heavy Load Member

Nov 3, 2006
    San Antonio, TX
    I can't wait for winter. o_O

Gunner75 Thanks this.
  5. QBall3577

QBall3577 Medium Load Member

Nov 24, 2008
    Fort Worth, TX
    Along with all the other reasons given, me personally, unless I was at a steel plant I found I was always treated better than when I drove a van or reefer by both shippers AND receivers.

6. SAdriver

SAdriver Light Load Member

Feb 11, 2016
    San Antonio, TX
    cannot forget the occasional hammock mounted under the rub rails while brats and steaks are cooking on the propane stove placed on the deck in the cool spring autumn night. A cooler of beer next to you idling in the breeze on a 34. It's a good exercise platform as well. Pull ups, elevated situps/push-ups amongst others.

also like someone else said, that smug superiority when your tarps are perfect and the other guys looks like warmed over turd in the sun.

ZephyrSoCal and Ooops Thank this.
  7. Rooster1291979

Rooster1291979 Road Train Member

Sep 4, 2012
    NOLA
    Would you rather get to a customer and be treated lower than low and sit for 6 hours, or get to a customer be treated like an actual human being and do moderately heavy work and be gone in 45 minutes?

8. Woodsman12

Woodsman12 Bobtail Member

Jan 4, 2017
    Does anyone know anything about Western express flatbed division? I have a month experience driving van and hate it. All the long down times at shippers and receivers is bull****

ZephyrSoCal Thanks this.
  9. Jumbo

Jumbo Road Train Member

Sep 4, 2009
    Appleton, Wisconsin
    Keep looking. There are better places to start even if you only have a month experience.

ZephyrSoCal Thanks this.
  10. MOGLAR

MOGLAR Heavy Load Member

Jun 19, 2013
    Kansas City , MO
    I till tell you with out a single doubt the best carriers to do flat bed with.

First off....do not go to a carrier whose mission it is to rope you into a (Fleece Purchase )Lease Purchase. The top 2 carriers I would suggest is Melton Truck Lines and Maverick Transportation. They both have a really good hands on and on site flatbed training program bar none. You might have to go with a trainer for a few weeks...you might want to call and check on that. Flat bedding can be a lot of work. You are no longer closing the doors and driving down the road. You will be outside working in every type of weather. You will have to throw tarps. Are you ready for that? Think about it really hard before you make a decision

Also...Stay away from TMC!!
    Dont go to Western Express under any circumstance.

Good Luck

ZephyrSoCal and LilRedRidingHood Thank this.
  11. turtle1969

turtle1969 Light Load Member

Nov 18, 2015
    only problem with TMC is EVERY load tarps whether required or not cause they say it looks better

ZephyrSoCal Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.