Best way to ship a Semi Truck to the West Coast

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Midwest Trucker, Oct 5, 2022.

1. asphaltreptile311

asphaltreptile311 Road Train Member

Jun 16, 2016
    Probably FedEx just bubble wrap it so they don't drop it too hard.

Rideandrepair, Concorde, W923 and 5 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Midwest Trucker

Midwest Trucker Road Train Member

Aug 31, 2018
    Id like to think my guys need me and that I’m more valuable steering the mothership at home, but I’ll admit it does sound like fun. It’s been a while since I’ve driven all the way across the country.

Temp signage could work.

That’s actually what I was thinking. Rates are such #### and I could find a truck through the brokerage and hopefully someone would be happy to get a fair price.

4. ProfessionalNoticer

ProfessionalNoticer Road Train Member

Apr 25, 2021
    Forgot you have the brokerage option too. With rates where they are you could probably save a bunch if you can find a Carrier you trust with your freight.

5. Rontonio

Rontonio Road Train Member

Aug 9, 2009
    you could find a cheap ### truck to move your sold asset 2200 and might even get there intact. Then again, it might not get there intact and that is likely to be a time consuming ordeal.

so a 35 ton double drop
    Is gonna have a deck height around 18-20”. Likely your truck is gonna be 13’ or slightly taller - so loaded height is gonna be north of 14’ 8”. The well length is 29’ on most DD - will it actually fit all in the well?

I am assuming the truck is an aero truck and has both low side skirts and a low chin spoiler - so loading it will need blocking to get it on the deck with out tearing up expensive plastic.

so even a cheap ### truck is gonna be $2.50/mile - so 2200 miles is gonna be $5500 plus say $300 plus in permits.

I don’t know what your drivers make - but $6000 is a chunk of change for a it might get there safe rate.

Maybe seeing it in writing will help clarify your thinking.

I would look more closely at drive away solutions- then pass that on to the buyer. I bet you find they are more amenable to picking it up.

6. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Why are you going through all the trouble?

Let the buyer figure it out.

See here is what you may not think of, what if something happens when it is in transit?

The motor takes a crap or the truck is in an accident, you are out the money from the sale at that point.

Let the buyer figure it out.

7. MartinFromBC

MartinFromBC Road Train Member

Oct 19, 2018
    Your stacks are likely the highest part, so removing the top piece is always an easy option to.
    Ship it with someone who is on a back haul.

8. Phoenix Heavy Haul

Phoenix Heavy Haul Medium Load Member

Feb 8, 2022
    Raleigh NC
    I’ve hauled several tractors (flat top or mid roof and removed stacks) dump trucks etc. But I won’t do a tall sleeper due to the height of the sleeper itself as I have a 20” loaded deck height. Like Rontonio stated a tall sleeper is close to 13,6 add that to deck height and your well above 14,7.

When you get that high it gets very tricky, it requires a very attention oriented driver and will likely require a pole car as well. And you’ll be lucky to get someone to run it for less than $6-$7 a mile.
    Even if you found a drop side to put it on still probably gonna be pricey.

I always recommend getting them towed or driven.

9. LoneRanger

LoneRanger Road Train Member

Jun 3, 2018

Yup that’s even a better. But now I have a question. Is it hard to sell a truck in todays market?

10. KrumpledTed

KrumpledTed Medium Load Member

May 6, 2022
    A little harder than say this time last year, but still surprisingly easily if it’s priced decently. My uncle just sold a 2017 579 with a smidge over 400k miles and a Paccar MX13 and 13 speed for $90k. Had it on truck paper for about a week and a half and a fella turned up cash in hand for it.

11. Siinman

Siinman Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2017
    Kansas City, MO.
    You should try and make a deal with the buyer. Pay for a plane ticket and fuel cost for him to drive it back. Would be way cheaper than trying to ship it. When I tried to ship my old truck from Florida it was gonna cost way too much because it is an oversize load and they have to get permits even on an RGN.

Or like others have suggested do a drive away service. I think this would be your cheapest way to do it if you have to do it.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2022
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.