Brand New Driver - To WE or not to WE?

Discussion in 'Western Express' started by tsquared, Apr 7, 2015.

1. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    Yeahhhhhh, I dunno. Rock and a hard place. I nattered with a WE FB driver today for an hour or so - he'd been there 5+ years.

I've heard average and bad on both, but you can always make lemons out of lemonade with the right juicer.

Keep that license clean for a while, eh?

Lonesome Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. tsquared

tsquared Bobtail Member

Apr 7, 2015
    I will definitely be hanging around. ANY and all advice is appreciated. My fiance just got his CDL and he needs to find a job ASAP. He worked at TA for almost a year making minimum wage and we figured that this HAD to be better. He moved here to GA from CO and he was unable to find a job in his field (construction) after looking for nearly a year, so he took any job he could find, and TA was that. He talked to a lot of truckers and got a lot of information, but a lot of it seems to contradict with what we are finding out now. I guess it varies depending on a lot of different stuff, though. Thank you for the advice! Any other info, as I said, is appreciated!

4. Interplanet Janet

Interplanet Janet Light Load Member

May 26, 2014
    OMG China. you have your first groupy!

Chinatown and tow614 Thank this.
  5. tsquared

tsquared Bobtail Member

Apr 7, 2015
    From what I am seeing so far, everybody is saying PTL so that is first on his to-do list for tomorrow. He has a "pre-hire" with them supposedly, but I don't even know what a "pre-hire" is at this point because we have been given the runaround by so many companies.

And yes, he is extra careful now and never speeds. He hasn't since he got his last ticket, and he is even more careful now that he went to school for his CDL because he said they preached over and over about how important it was to follow all traffic laws to the T and about how your license and your career depend on it!

6. joseph1135

joseph1135 Papa Murphy

Nov 8, 2009
    The Highway To Hell.
    One can make a good honest living driving a truck. The key is to know how to do it. Just hopping in the seat and eating cheeseburgers doesn't make a good truck driver. There are many bitter people out here. Bitter because they can't help but the #### up constantly. They do it because "they know it all". They claim every company screws them over,they aren't making money, etc. If the fat lazy good for nothings would apply themselves occasionally, they'd see it quite differently. After almost 14 years, I still think it's a ###### fine way to earn a living and I still enjoy what I do, as well as many others you'll see on TTR. Stay tuned, and you both will get an education on how to be successful and see your financial status improve

7. joseph1135

joseph1135 Papa Murphy

Nov 8, 2009
    The Highway To Hell.
    I'm a Chinatown groupie too. I just wrap firecrackers in my boxers when I throw them at him.

Chinatown Thanks this.
  8. Erick Evans

Erick Evans Light Load Member

Mar 5, 2015
    Minneapolis, MN
    Forum comedian?

Chinatown Thanks this.
  9. DenaliDad

DenaliDad Retired Wheel Dog

Western is a second chance/last chance company and should be your last choice. Send in lots of apps, make lots of calls, and in the end, if your fiancé gets no offers, then - and only then - call Western.

tow614 Thanks this.
  10. orangepicker

orangepicker Road Train Member

Nov 9, 2011
    florida
    First join (drivers legal service) with 2 ticket already a 3rd would be devastating

11. tow614

tow614 Road Train Member

Mar 18, 2013
    My advice would be to slow down

rexmanno, Gereke and 77smartin Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.