Bridges with no height sign

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by cdntruking, Jan 15, 2018.

1. Tall Mike

Tall Mike Road Train Member

Aug 20, 2014
    New York
    Lots of grey area there friend..

My view is a little different being an ex car hauler where hitting something low is cardinal sin.
    If you hit a low bridge you’re at fault sign or not IMO.
    Now not everyone will agree with me of course.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 48stater

48stater Light Load Member

Aug 3, 2012
    A few years back we had a guy hit a low RR bridge in Chester, PA. Tow truck driver said that it had been posted in the past, but that since current scrap prices were high, the signs kept getting stolen.

Assume nothing.

Farmerbob1 Thanks this.
  4. TravR1

TravR1 Road Train Member

Nov 9, 2017
    TX
    Right, but its always said the law is there to protect you, not just to get you in trouble. So if its law that there must be a sign if its lower than 14 feet, and if not then you can assume its clear... that's not fair to the driver.

I'm just playing devils advocate and saying what I think should be the case. I know it doesn't always work out that way. But seriously though, can't that drive get a non preventable for that one?

5. Tall Mike

Tall Mike Road Train Member

Aug 20, 2014
    New York
    It isn’t fair but sometimes that’s just how it goes down.

I see your point and respect your opinion, but...

If you hit a bridge it’s on you in my book...Again the mind set is probably different with car haulers and ex car haulers because damages usually come out of the drivers pocket...Because of that most of us are on high alert at all times for bridges, tree limbs, etc..
    I remember the first interview I ever did for a car hauler job I was told “there is no excuse for hitting a low bridge”..That stuck with me, he is a member here on this site too..Maybe he will see this thread and chime in.

6. Dino soar

Dino soar Road Train Member

Dec 8, 2017
    Sign or no sign it's your fault if you hit it.

One time when I was in New York there was an underpass and all the signs are wrong in New York anyway, and I didn't know if I could make it underneath.

So I pulled over hit my flashers and waited about 5 minutes and past goes a truck and he goes right under it so I followed him.

Either do that or hit your flashers and crawl under there and make sure you have plenty of room.

Much better to wait on the side of the road for 5 minutes for another truck or the crawl underneath of it then to try to go through the legal process to say hey my truck is destroyed but you should have had a sign there.

Just because a sign should be there doesn't mean that they're going to pay for your truck reimburse you for all the time you didn't work and all the aggravation blah blah blah blah blah blah blah.

Just don't hit the bridge.

7. TravR1

TravR1 Road Train Member

Nov 9, 2017
    TX
    But, like a lot of people love saying, "law is the law." It says there should be a sign, and if not then proceed.

My follow up comment was going to be what should I do if in doubt even though there is no sign. So I appreciate your input on that.

8. HalpinUout

HalpinUout Road Train Member

Oct 2, 2011
    No that's in Chicago off Lake and Damen St.

9. stayinback

stayinback Road Train Member

Jan 24, 2014
    chicago,il
    Did you ever go into Conrail 47th in the 80's and 90's?

Who was the Gray haired guy wit the Beard ? Was a Grouch till you got to know him, He ALWAYS ####ED with the Europeans When they started doing crosstowns in the early 90's.

lol, I was checkin in one day- And a Tall European was bringing in a COFC (Liftoff) For Dockside NJ, He Wrote on his Bill "Dacksaid" The Guy threw the Bill back at him under the Window and said "What's Dacksaid"?

LOL

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2018
    slim shady Thanks this.
  10. slim shady

slim shady Road Train Member

Sep 14, 2011
    Chicago, Il.
    Did all the conrails 47th, 51st and 63rd
    Dont remember any names that was too long ago

stayinback Thanks this.
  11. Farmerbob1

Farmerbob1 Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2017
    You might not legally be at fault, but it would almost certainly still be considered preventable by most trucking companies.

Especially if your Atlas lists it as a low bridge. Not all routing tools are created equal.

For example, the 13'5" bridge in Winnsboro, SC, was not shown as a low bridge by Truckerpath when I found it. I sent them a message, and it is listed now (they listed it the next day, actually, FAST work by their dev team!) Rand McNally Atlas did have it listed. I didn't have a Rand McNally GPS at the time.

Signs can be knocked down, vandalized, or stolen. Always give any bridge on a new route a close look as you approach. The first time I drove I-90 in New York as a new driver, I nearly gave myself a heart attack. All the signs said my truck would fit but those bridges looked so low to the ground.

BigBob410, TravR1, Dan.S and 1 other person Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.