Bringing my dog OTR: What to bring/What to expect?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by b l a c k b e a r d, Dec 1, 2014.

1. icsheeple

icsheeple Trailing the Herd

Nov 1, 2013
    Kansas City, KS
    I'd bring extra cleaning supplies... Nuf said there.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. scottied67

scottied67 Road Train Member

Mar 14, 2010
    california norte
    Petsmart account is wonderful. Keep all shots records in the computer for printout in case you lost them and monthly fee, take into any Petsmart when shots are due.

Took Abby to Canada many times. Mostly the Mounties just frisk her over one time and are satisfied.

Recommend a collar with the dog's name and your phone number embroidered on. Abby jumped out of the truck twice in 3.5 years and was able to pick her up directly from the people who found her then called me.

First week will be tough on the dog. Loud trucks, trucks spewing air dryers, air horns, everything is new and scary to them. But after that they adapt and thrive on the lifestyle. Mostly they just want to be with their people and every time they get out of the truck is a brand new surroundings and adventure, new smells sights and sounds. We have the double bunks, I sleep upstairs, Abby has downstairs. She also has the window so she can see the world go by. That is her TV. Her water bowl is up between the seats nestled in a larger tupperware type dish to catch any splashes. May move it back to the sleeper soon so she will drink more water, lately she won't come off the bed all night or any time while I am in the truck. Soon as I step out she jumps up to the driver seat though lol. sweetabby.jpg

b l a c k b e a r d and bergy Thank this.
  4. b l a c k b e a r d

b l a c k b e a r d Light Load Member

Sep 20, 2014
    Well I didn't expect this comment but it has kind of rubbed me the wrong way. For your information, I have had him since he was a week old, he was left to die in an empty building and was starved and covered in bugs. I took him home and gave him a life. He was by my side everyday for 4 years with a big beautiful yard to roam freely in when he went outdoors. Then 2 years ago I had to leave home in order to find work because of financial problems hurting my family. Leaving home left my wife taking care of our child and my dog who didn't understand why I left. We lost the yard and now he has been confined in an apartment and my wife has to walk him 4 times a day while caring for a 3 year old. Well a month ago she called me crying. She woke up and found out that he had thrown up in the kitchen all night and was laying there barely responsive. I was on the road. For the next 5 days it was touch and go with him. He hadn't eaten at all. He went to a hospital and each night I expected to hear the worst. I promised myself that if he got better I would find a way to change his situation. There was more I wanted to do with my friend. The next morning my wife called me to tell me that the hospital called and said that he had eaten that morning and that he appeared to be acting better. I was so happy! I still had a week before my company would let me go home for home time. He came home the next day and has gotten a full recovery. When I got home he wouldn't leave my side like usual. My wife and I came to the decision that he would go on the road with me. So finally I get to the point where I am a few days from taking him with me I come here and ask my question and get this response. I am out for 3 weeks at a time and would love his company. I can also leave him at home at times also. But to come here and get told that I am treating my dog cruel and that I am punishing him is a ###### insult and I dont appreciate it. Bigdogpile, you can go #### yourself. You don't know what my family goes through And you don't know how I treat anything. Kiss my ### loser.

5. FLATBED

FLATBED Road Train Member

1 thing a lot of people forget is that a DOGS hearing is much better than a HUMANS ( dog whistles we do not hear but they do ) so that turbo whine we hear they hear a lot more of so be prepared for him acting strange until he is use to ALL THE NOISE associated with trucking.

6. freightwipper

freightwipper Road Train Member

Mar 24, 2014
    OTR
    does your dog know how to use a pee bottle

7. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    Calm down,you need to ignore ignortant comments like his.I could tell you have a love for animals just from your first post and I just know your co pilot will be the boss not you,lol.Just because your dog will be in the trk does not mean he won't get the exercise.My dog tiny I got from the animal shelter and the 9 yrs I was otr she was with me and loved it.She also got plenty of exercise while on my brk,at customers and a couple times during my driving day.

bergy, OPUS 7 and b l a c k b e a r d Thank this.
  8. OPUS 7

OPUS 7 Road Train Member

Aug 13, 2010
    OP don't sweat it.I'm no dog whisperer,but the wagging tail,and excited barking
    tell me all I need to know about happy dogs in trucks.
    You will see lots of drivers with dogs.
    A dog in a truck is more humane than the poor dogs left outside on a 3 ft chain year round.
    They get no love,or attention,and live a sad life.
    I feel more sorry for the police dog.I don't think they ever know they could be killed doing
    what is they're daily life.Enjoy the road,and time with your buddy.

bergy, pattyj and b l a c k b e a r d Thank this.
  9. buzzarddriver

buzzarddriver Road Train Member

Feb 1, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    Don't know who you drive for or your customer base, but a lot of companies will not allow the dog on their premises. I have seen dogs tied to fences at the front gate of warehouse facilities and the owner sat for hours at a dock.
    Just take that to heart in deciding on whose loads you will haul.

10. Shortwoman

Shortwoman Light Load Member

Nov 22, 2014
    Pets mart no..they r not real groomers. I ccould tell u nightmares. They don't go to a real dog grooming school

11. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    What I did in cases like that with the help of the security guard is I kept Tiny in the sleeper area and other places didn't mind as long as Tiny did'nt get out of the trk.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.