Buffalo Tractor Trailer Institute Instructer lost his cool today

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by Doylee4693, Sep 16, 2021.

1. L.A.toTX

L.A.toTX Light Load Member

Oct 10, 2021
    I still standby what I experienced that the drive tires and front end will pose a problem.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    When you get out on the road and your trainer wants you to back into a tight spot are you going to argue with him and disregard his advice like you've done here?

N00bLaLoosh and gentleroger Thank this.
  4. L.A.toTX

Oct 10, 2021
    Sorry, this discussion has been nothing like that, so not going to even dignify that with a related response.

5. drivingmissdaisy

drivingmissdaisy Road Train Member

Jun 10, 2019
    I did so badly on the backing practice my instructor actually got out of the truck, said "you're hopeless" and slammed the door. He said "figure it out yourself, you're not listening to me."

They let me have the truck by myself for over an hour. During that hour it finally "clicked" and I was the only student in the entire 30 student class that made a 100 on the backing part of the actual CDL test. He literally told me during the CDL exam "You shocked the #### out of me, dude" with relation to me backing up.

N00bLaLoosh Thanks this.
  6. L.A.toTX

Oct 10, 2021
    How did you have your instructor present during the exam? By federal law, the person instructing you can't be your examiner. That person can teach the classroom portion for the written exam, but they cannot teach you operating the truck and also examine you for your license.

7. drivingmissdaisy

drivingmissdaisy Road Train Member

Jun 10, 2019
    Because the lady that was supposed to give me the exam called in sick and he was there. He said we will "adjust" the paperwork accordingly so I didn't have to come back again another day. It was FREEZING cold and the truck was covered in ice when I got there so he was like "I"m not going to make you come back in this again another day because she decides she has a runny nose and can't come to work." He left all of the signature areas blank so when she came in the next day she could sign her name. He was quite strict on the actual test, so its not like the lady not showing up meant I got a walk in the park type of exam. He also said there was no written record in the school of what instructor had taught me in the truck so I could examine with anyone, even though they tried to make it someone different but she didn't show.

But during my school I had like 4 or 5 different instructors so finding one that had not taught me at some point was very difficult. And then she called in sick.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2021
    N00bLaLoosh Thanks this.
  8. N00bLaLoosh

N00bLaLoosh Road Train Member

May 13, 2021
    Novi, MI
    That "click" is a great feeling isn't it?

gentleroger Thanks this.
  9. gentleroger

gentleroger Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2010
    L.A.toTX and N00bLaLoosh Thank this.
  10. gentleroger

gentleroger Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2010
    One of the hardest things for any teacher (of any subject) to learn is when to instruct and when to let the student explore.

I can talk anyone into any hole. Having me talk a student into a hole doesn't help the student learn how to back. I've learned that pulling the student out of the seat and making them look at what is happening, then asking leading questions to get the student to make the 'right' decsions is the most effective strategy. There are times that you need to take a laize-faire approach and just stand back and watch to make sure they don't tear stuff up. Then there are times you need to grab the dude by the ear and walk them step by step through the process. Lord only knows which approach is right for each student.

When I was learning the instructors impeded my growth. Their instruction was good, but I'm dyslexic. "Steer towards the problem" confused the heck out of me. I needed to run over SO MANY CONES before I understood what steering motions coincided with what changes to the trailer. When I started training I often had to say "I know what you need to do, but I can't explain it. Let me do it, watch what I do, then I'll pull back out and you can do it".

I've also lost count of the times I've thought "this dude is screwed" then watched the guy one shot it into the hole. Backing is as much an art form as it is a skill.

N00bLaLoosh Thanks this.
  11. L.A.toTX

Oct 10, 2021
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.