Buying and transporting truck

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Gumper, Feb 16, 2018.

1. Gumper

Gumper Road Train Member

Jan 7, 2018
    Butte, MT
    Buying my truck tomorrow. Confused as hell on some things. My DOT friend says I need my IFTA and IRP registrations before I can drive the truck home. How the hell do you register those things before even owning the truck? Is he mistaken on this? I paid my UCR, and did a 2290 filing. The truck of course will have insurance, and I have my DOT number. No matter what that truck is coming home with me tomorrow. Just trying to cover my ### if I get stopped at a scale which is pretty unlikely while bobtailing on a Friday night.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Justrucking2

Justrucking2 Road Train Member

Sep 12, 2017
    Plymouth MI
    I bought a truck in SC and drove it back up here to Detroit without issue. I put a sign in the front passenger side window that said "In Transit". The sign was sheet of copy paper, used a Sharpie. I think every scale house along that route was open. No one even looked.

Same thing with my current truck, I bought that in Washington state, drove to my place in Montana, and then to the house in Michigan. No plate, the dealer gave me a Xerox copy of his dealer plate and I taped it up again, in the front passenger window. No one even looked.

One thing though, I did have insurance on these trucks, just in case and did have a copy of the insurance certificate from my agent.

Both of these trucks were purchased from dealers, there were no markings or stickers anywhere on either vehicle, just my homemade signage.

With everything you have, just put an in transit sign in the front window. If your paranoid, put a copy of your insurance certificate next to the in transit sign.

Gumper Thanks this.
  4. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    You dot friend is clueless.

Get insurance on it for the move.

If you have to, go to the local DMV and get a temp plate but you need insurance no matter what.

You don't need an ifta sticker, you don't need to put your dot number on it, just a temp plate.

stwik, flood, wore out and 2 others Thank this.
  5. Gumper

Gumper Road Train Member

Jan 7, 2018
    Butte, MT
    As soon as I hand over the cash I’ll call my agent and the insurance will be on the truck within a few minutes. I’ll just slap a sign in the window and roll back to Montana. Hopefully no one gives me trouble. I’d think any DOT dunce would understand.

blairandgretchen Thanks this.
  6. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    Right now, you’re simply moving a personal vehicle. Insurance and a temporary tag from your state ( some call it a ‘hunters permit ‘?) if they offer one, and go.

Oh - and a bill of sale, to prove you didn’t just steal it!

Gumper and wore out Thank this.
  7. sbaumann14

sbaumann14 Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2010
    Rhinelander, WI
    you MUST have insurance and title in hand. Bought my truck in Dallas and drove it home to WI. Went to Wally world, bought some garage sale signs ( 99cents apiece) flipped them over to the blank white side and wrote "In Transit Not for Hire" on them. Put em on the doors and drove it home.

8. Derailed

Derailed Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2008
    Upstate NY
    He must have thought you were going to work the truck home or else he is new. Minimum liability coverage and a temp tag is all you need to get it home. Myself I would not even display any dot number until it is put to work and has an apportioned tag on it

blairandgretchen Thanks this.
  9. Oldironfan

Oldironfan Road Train Member

May 22, 2017
    Most state's give you 24 hours from purchase to drive it. It's done everyday.

Gumper Thanks this.
  10. Gumper

Gumper Road Train Member

Jan 7, 2018
    Butte, MT
    I’ll have the bill of sale and title in the truck with me.
    Doesn’t seem like it’ll be a big deal.

Sadly, this truck doesn’t have a Series 60 Gearjammer79. 550 horse 3406E in a 97 379, about the total opposite of fuel efficient. 75k on the engine, and 5k on the 18 speed and clutch with papers. Seems like a good buy. Can probably turn around and sell it 5 years from now for more than what I’m paying.

blairandgretchen and Oldironfan Thank this.
  11. Oldironfan

Oldironfan Road Train Member

May 22, 2017
    Just run it home. Put not for hire on the sides. Do not stop at any coops, just drive past. You are not a commercial vehicle right now.

Gumper Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.