can’t sleep on cpap

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by crazybread, Oct 16, 2017.

1. W9onTime

W9onTime Heavy Load Member

Oct 6, 2017
    Most people with OSA are over weight , you could try losing weight and get retested . I'm in this group , while I'm not obese it would be good to lose 20 more lbs , I've lost 20 already since being on apap . That's my goal because like you I hate it , been on it over a year .
    I also use the nose pillows type , that headset is more tolerable for me

pattyj Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. GetonwithiT

GetonwithiT Bobtail Member

Jun 15, 2017

I am getting my machine tomorrow. Its the nasal pillow style . I believe that its the smallest one available. I tried the full mask when I was taking the test at the hospital and it was very unnatural to wear and I had to take it off. Depending on which style you have you can request a smaller one like mine which is the nasal pillow style.

2-3 months is a long time to have to go through that. Hope you get this issue resolved soon..

4. Pumpkin Oval Head

Pumpkin Oval Head Road Train Member

Jun 24, 2010
    Scranton PA
    Things do change. I used to have central sleep apnea and used a bi-pap machine that will breathe for you when your brain fails to tell you lungs to breathe.

But now I am on a cpap machine since I moved to anther state and have a new doctor. The old bipap machine was not helping me sleep. I am the same weight I was when I started on the bipap machine.

At any rate the new machine works great.

From what you said, I don't think surgery would have helped me much at all, as the central sleep apnea is not helped by the surgery.

Puppage Thanks this.
  5. paulabluegrass

paulabluegrass Bobtail Member

Apr 18, 2018

6. Sublime

Sublime Road Train Member

Jan 18, 2013
    Twin Cities, MN
    I'm lucky to use mine for more than 4 hours a night. Just started a couple weeks ago. Full mask.

7. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    Thankfully I was able to get through my career and not have to deal with CPAP. I do have several friends that do use CPAP. Most today are no longer driving. If they are not allowing drivers to use this implant they should. I know a man that has this. He swears by it.

8. bowlwinkle

bowlwinkle Heavy Load Member

Aug 27, 2008
    Ankeny, IA

Attached Files:

Chinatown Thanks this.
  9. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Moose thanks for the link, I have had it all my life and can't sleep without the machine -conditioned to having it. I heard from one of my drivers about this, he is going to have it done and he has the same problems as I do but until now I didn't think of it much with all that's going on.

10. UsualSuspect

UsualSuspect Road Train Member

Aug 14, 2016
    Yo Mama's
    I use an APAP, not sure I could sleep without it, took more than 1 mask type to get one I could sleep with. According to my Dr I can have surgery where they shave off part of the Uvula and soft palette, which he said would solve the problem. I just need to get in and schedule it.

11. Smut

Smut Light Load Member

Jan 28, 2017
    Houston
    Try a small dose of melatonin. It helped me fall asleep when I first got my CPAP.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.