Can I negotiate higher than 36 cpm for non experience , right out of CDL school?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Jdtrucker18, Nov 22, 2018.

1. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    [​IMG]

homeskillet Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Espressolane

Espressolane Road Train Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Just south of the north 40
    1978, diesel was like .85 a gallon, gasoline was running about .70 a gallon.

4. 88228822

88228822 Heavy Load Member

Sep 26, 2018
    I'm in at .39 cpm with a mega that hired me out of CDL school.

They are paying me to get experience and learn the job is how I look at it.

Fortunately I don't have a wife or kids or financial responsibilities or any need of home time, so I'm happy with my pay.

I feel for those starting out at that rate of pay who have to go home every weekend and are trying to make ends meet.

I'm happy with my pay for starting out but I can see why many people probably aren't.

5. Farmerbob1

Farmerbob1 Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2017
    Talk to more companies. 36CPM is a low starting rate for a new driver with a clean record.

Make sure that 36 CPM is the full offer though. Some companies offer wages split between perdiem and standard pay. If they are offering 12 CPM perdiem pay on 36 CPM standard pay, that is a solid starting wage.

6. BigDog Trucker

BigDog Trucker Heavy Load Member

Nov 4, 2018
    You can find companies that will hire brand new drivers, then after the training program, will guarantee paychecks of xx amount of dollars a week, or will guarantee 60k a year.

7. Solo Driver

Solo Driver Bobtail Member

Aug 25, 2018
    Choose the best company you can find with a good training program and decent equipment. Then look at your first few months (first year really) as a continuation of training that at least has some pay with it.

As you gain experience you become far more valuable as far as most companies are concerned - then you can get more CPM and more opportunities that pay a lot better than any company is ever going to pay a new driver right out of school.

Who knows - by then you will probably even have gotten a couple of raises with your first company and you may even decide you like it enough to say for a while longer...

drumchaos Thanks this.
  8. Dabrian

Dabrian Light Load Member

Jul 27, 2015
    North Carolina
    UPSF is hiring drivers straight from truck driving school starting at .50 cpm.

LtlAnonymous Thanks this.
  9. Random user

Random user Light Load Member

May 13, 2018
    Whats the problem with that

If the employer doesnt like it or even him requesting it, they are free to say no or can him right then and there. He obviously wont be some blind slave to a corporate master who overlooks his worth & safety. He's negotiating. Capitalism baby.

Nothereoften Thanks this.
  10. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    The primary problem is it is a waste of time that might cause some real bad attitudes later. Even non trucking employers have basic entry level wages. You are not going to get more money right off. Most will later on. In essence until you get some experience you are a blind slave as you called it. Then when you have PROVED your worth THEN you can confront this evil and horrible master!

11. LtlAnonymous

LtlAnonymous Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2016
    UPS is not hiring anyone off the street for .70 cpm. Regardless of experience.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.