Can someone else with a TND 740 check something for me?

Discussion in 'Trucking Electronics, Gadgets and Software Forum' started by Farmerbob1, Feb 26, 2020.

1. Farmerbob1

Farmerbob1 Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2017
    I have not seen a map update in nearly a year for my TND 740.

It's starting to get to the point where quite a few changes are piling up, making my device map fail to match reality. Bad road data. New truck stops not showing. Old truck stops no longer there.

Today I missed a turnoff for a Pilot in Midway, TX because the exit ramp had been moved a half mile, and when I passed where the Rand said the exit was supposed to be, it was clear that the work was finished at least a few months back.

Another specific item I have noted is that the new Loves at exit 310 on I-75 in GA in not on the Rand. That is a useful location for me, and I really would like the ability to program it in for the exit reminder.

So, can anyone with a TND 740 see that Loves, North of Atlanta, on I75, exit 310? (Not the horrible Loves at exit 283 which is a paved traffic atrocity.)

Or has Rand, once again, abandoned a GPS and stopped doing map updates for it, like they did with the TND 720? Despite it clearly indicating lifetime map updates on the box?

Cabinover101 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Cabinover101

Cabinover101 Heavy Load Member

Jul 28, 2019
    Lol xt283 - yeah 10-4 in that! I'm not in the truck, but I think the xt 310 is on there bc I was scratching my head thinking ain't nothing there, but forgot the new loves. .. maybe that was a billboard Though?

Farmerbob1 Thanks this.
  4. MidWest_MacDaddy

MidWest_MacDaddy Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2015
    South Carolina
    Can’t verify your specifics but have plenty of my own examples... I-11 from Hover Dam to Las Vegas been there for like two years? Still not on my RM740... several new roads in Dallas like you said the exit has moved and I miss them almost every time Im there... a road around Memphis that used to be a 4 lane divided highway is now an Interstate...

And I have like TEN new Loves in my Addresses that they don’t have in their database... and Loves is adding like Forty more new locations this year too... with a CAT Scale at each that isn’t in their database either.

so ya, where’s my lifetime map updates???

tscottme, Cabinover101 and Farmerbob1 Thank this.
  5. Farmerbob1

Farmerbob1 Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2017
    Do you have a TND 740 model, or something newer?

I bought the TND740 because my TND720 was no longer getting map upgrades from Rand. If you have a newer model, then I have no doubt you have a newer map.

Anyway, based on a couple responses, it sounds like it might not just be my device. Do we still have a Rand representative floating around the forums here who can tell us when Rand will live up to the promises on the box?

Rand Technical support talked me through a full reset of the device, and it updated to the exact same outdated map I had before, as far as I can tell.

6. MidWest_MacDaddy

MidWest_MacDaddy Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2015
    South Carolina
    I’ll hit them up too and report back.

7. theSoz

theSoz Light Load Member

Jan 24, 2020
    Have you tried updating your maps from a computer? Plug you usb into the unit and your computer or laptop and using the docking software to update the device manually. Sometimes, that works better than over the air updates. It's crazy, I know and it shouldn't matter, but sometimes it works.

8. Flat Earth Trucker

Flat Earth Trucker Road Train Member

Nov 19, 2018
    I used to have a 720. Had the same difficulties as you have described. Called customer no-service and was told that I would have to plug the dang thing into a computer to receive updates. And if that failed, I would have to send the dang thing to Rand McNally for a fixin'.

I never got around to doing either. Seems to me that if their product was the be all end all trucking GPS Rand McNally proclaims it to be, then it should update automatically when WiFi is available.

Nowadays, I use my phone GPS to navigate when needed. Of course I have to examine the proposed route and exercise caution when entering an unfamiliar area.

I don't concern myself with encountering low bridges since that dang 720 gave me a route with a low bridge.

Additionally, there were bridges in NYC a 13' 6" trailer could go under that the 720 indicated it could not. Such joy.

Another disadvantage of using Rand McNally navigation products is a lack of real-time traffic updates. It's always Sunny in Philadelphia when using a 720.

Don't you just love that sinking feeling of coming into traffic that is stopped or is slowing wishing there were an alternate route?

Just remember to input your route information while within cell coverage if you are routed to the hinterlands.

9. MTN Boomer

MTN Boomer Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2019
    Why I won't buy one,

10. stacks

stacks Road Train Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Emerald Isle
    Interesting points of views here on Rand mc Nally products surely they should be held Accountable for there products not updating they are being sold at All the Major truckstops

11. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

Loves at exit 310 is not in my 740. The 2 updates I received are to Driver Connect, whatever that is. I've stored the new Loves in my database. As an alternative just add the QT at exit 306 and add 4 miles.

Farmerbob1 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.