Can someone else with a TND 740 check something for me?

Discussion in 'Trucking Electronics, Gadgets and Software Forum' started by Farmerbob1, Feb 26, 2020.

1. Farmerbob1

Farmerbob1 Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2017
    Aye. Part of the reason I bought Rand products was the 'lifetime map updates' that were promised, but not delivered.

I might try a different manufacturer when I get fed up with Rand not updating their maps on my current device.

tscottme Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

I believe RM relies on another company to provide them map data. I saw the name in the RM 740 support thread, but I don't remember the name.

Farmerbob1 Thanks this.
  4. Farmerbob1

Jan 17, 2017
    When I retired my TND 720 because the maps were out of date, I bought my current TND 740 and updated it the same night, and verified that the map data was different. (I was going to return it for another device if it wasn't updated.)

The fact that the TND 740 had a better map than the TND 720, despite both having the most updated maps possible, told me that Rand had simply abandoned the TND 720.

I gave them a pass on that. Once.

tscottme Thanks this.
  5. AFPup

AFPup Bobtail Member

May 17, 2021
    Little late to this thread, but same thing here.

I had some minor issues with a 720, updated to a 740. Other then the UI looking like it was designed by committee, it seemed like a nice upgrade.

Fast forward a couple years, I'm having more hardware level issues and now updates in over a year ( other then the driver connect app which I don't use ).

Current Navi date on my 740 is from April 5 2019, more then two years ago.

If Rand McNally is going to advertise these units as getting life time updates, I think they should also be responsible for clearly specifying what that life time is. If they're going to EOL a product in under a year, that's not life time by my definition.

Anyone want to start a class action against Rand?

MidWest_MacDaddy Thanks this.
  6. Farmerbob1

Jan 17, 2017
    Based on the craptastic level of map updates, the atrocious new Rand 2.0 navigation system, and the fact that the TND 750 has been the top of their basic line of truck GPS for two years now, I suspect the company is about to fail.

Sad, really. All they needed to do to actually improve the old Rand navigation system was tweak it. Instead they completely broke it into stupidity and have consistently failed to do anything about it. They clearly have nobody in the dev team with any experience at all driving a truck.

As an example of the extreme stupidity of the 2.0 version, there is no longer an option to 'prefer freeways' which leads to the retarded thing trying to route you off the interstate at an exit ramp, just to immediately return to the interstate at the same exit if the interstate is making a curving turn and the exit is a shorter path.

I have had it try and route me through a LOT of incredibly stupid places too. It no longer has any aversion to subdivisions, apparently. If the speed limit and distance seem like they are a faster route, the new Rand 2.0 will send you there.

7. MidWest_MacDaddy

MidWest_MacDaddy Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2015
    South Carolina
    Ugh… my 740 has been doing the “battery dead crash” thing only to be fully charged upon reboot… I was eyeing the 750 and considering upgrading but now I think I’ll wait a bit until it actually crashes and shop around a bit.

been very happy with the 740 routing etc… with the exception of lack up nap and new TS data.

what a shame

8. Farmerbob1

Jan 17, 2017
    You might try connecting the standalone charger while it is on the charging mount.

The 750 cannot maintain a charge either, especially during the day. I have to use the pedestal charger and the USB charger at the same time for an hour or so every day in order to get a full day of driving with the 750.

MidWest_MacDaddy Thanks this.
  9. Mototom

Mototom Road Train Member

May 7, 2019
    My rand 740 is new and it’s junk. Wrong directions, unnecessary miles/turns.
    Would rather take me down county roads not meant for trucks.
    It’s literally caused me 100% more problems then my iOS maps or hammer gps app.

Farmerbob1 Thanks this.
  10. Farmerbob1

Jan 17, 2017
    Did they push the Rand 2.0 navigation down to the 740 models as well? My 740 routing occasionally had issues with routing, but nothing like the stupidity of the 750 I have now. Especially for pathing within 10 miles of a shipper or receiver.

11. Mototom

Mototom Road Train Member

May 7, 2019
    Sorry didn’t realize mine is a 750 aswell. It’s only a few months old but looks rough cause I had a fit after it routed me down some terrible roads.

Farmerbob1 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.