Can truckers have Service Animal ?

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by cuzzin it, Apr 15, 2024.

1. cuzzin it

cuzzin it Road Train Member

Jan 19, 2008
    Berea, KY
    Can cdl drivers have service dogs ? I see them from time to time, and wondered

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Wunsch

Wunsch Bobtail Member

Jan 31, 2024
    As far as I know it's up to the company you work for that allows pets or not. If you are an O/O that's all up to you, your truck your rules I'm sure lol

4. TX2Day

TX2Day Medium Load Member

Apr 24, 2023
    Texas
    A true service dog that supports you with a physical disability can not be classified as a pet and must be let up in the truck with a understanding on the cleanliness standards of the truck. The trucking company may ask for a letter from your doctor specifying your disability and what service the dog does for you. Your disability should be found on your long form DOT Physical as well. The company may require a deposit for any dog specified as an emotional support animal..

Tb0n3, silverspur and cuzzin it Thank this.
  5. supersnackbar

supersnackbar Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2007
    Your Town, USA
    I worked with a driver years ago at Crete that had one. He had a physical issue walking, but once he was in the seat he had no issues with driving. His dog was a certified/trained service dog and he even had what appeared to be a saddle bag for the dog to help carry his shower stuff in for him. He never had any issues, even going into a sit down restaurant.

cuzzin it and TX2Day Thank this.
  6. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    Sadly, many companies don't recognize the fact it's a service dog, if no dogs allowed, generally it's a waste of time trying. Some companies may charge you a deposit to have a dog,( some as high as $700 BUCKS!) but no special favors for a service dog. Besides, the "service" the dog is doing, may prohibit you from driving anyway.

cuzzin it Thanks this.
  7. Lennythedriver

Lennythedriver Road Train Member

Feb 14, 2020
    They can’t! It’s a disability and federal law no service dog shall be restricted. That said, I’d not try and force it on a company that doesn’t allow pets. Just bad juju in my opinion, but if you wanted to, you could. They can’t discriminate

Grumppy, TX2Day and cuzzin it Thank this.
  8. Spardo

Spardo Light Load Member

After retiring from driving trucks, and then had a few years wondering what to do with myself, I got called to transport dogs as a volunteer in my car. This was long distance work, all over Europe, and, until I bought a small caravan to sleep in, I slept in the back with my passengers. After a few minutes of the usual canine circling, which did involve tramping all over me, they would settle down and never budge till dawn. I have never slept so well and can thoroughly recommend it, Very calming and, in the winter, nothing like cuddling up to a giant Otterhound, St. Bernard or Mastiff. Dobermanns became my most frequent travellers, never met a nasty one. ;):):)

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.