Can you stand on the top of a dry van?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Midnightrider909, Sep 22, 2018.

1. tnpete

tnpete Medium Load Member

Jun 25, 2013
    Tn
    Sounds like some of you have the same Neighbors we have. If they hear a saw fire up. Most grab a beer and chair. And enjoy the fun. Nothing like seeing an old man, use the tractor loader to trim limbs. Fun part is doing it by myself.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Jazz1

Jazz1 Road Train Member

May 7, 2012
    Thunder Bay On
    The roof will support you. I been on the roof of trailers numerous times to work on lights, at times two of us installing vapour proof conduit. Easier than working off a ladder

86scotty and Midnightrider909 Thank this.
  4. SteveScott

SteveScott Road Train Member

Nov 10, 2015
    Go for it, should be fine. Heck, jump up and down if you want. Just make sure somebody is taking video of it all.

5. pmdriver

pmdriver Road Train Member

Nov 14, 2017
    Dang, I can not jump up that high, only thing I am good at is doing the header from the top.

6. 86scotty

86scotty Road Train Member

Aug 27, 2017
    Appalachia
    Finally, a REAL answer! I was curious too and had to read through this whole mess to get a real answer. I'm kind of a sucker for adventure. I want to get on my trailer and see how stout it is. :D

BillyBobFrank Thanks this.
  7. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    Was it a real answer or just the answer you wanted to hear? I suppose it depends on how much you weigh and how softly you step.

86scotty Thanks this.
  8. supersnackbar

supersnackbar Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2007
    Your Town, USA
    The mechanics at a previous company use to walk on our trailers all the time. Not one fell thru, and they use to have some old ragged trailers. As long as there aren't any missing bows or major repair patches, they are made to be walked on. (The metal ones at least, maybe not the fiberglass translucent ones) Picture a foot of snow from side to side, front to back...that's a whole lot more than a 250 lb human, and it is stressing the whole roof, and probably putting more weight per square foot than a person.

86scotty Thanks this.
  9. Midnightrider909

Midnightrider909 Road Train Member

Oct 26, 2016
    I assumed as much. I’ve heard of drivers having to get up there to shovel off snow.

10. Tlauden

Tlauden Bobtail Member

Jul 2, 2018
    My buddy walked on the top of a fiberglass one once, doing that exact thing actually. He only weighs about 150Lbs. Lets just say we had to open the trailer doors to make sure he was alright shortly after he started....

tucker Thanks this.
  11. DougA

DougA Road Train Member

Dec 16, 2013
    Retired,In my shop in Md.
    A somewhat related long story to bore you.
    Going to Ca. once years ago trucking on I-20 near Odessa,Tx,stop for the nite at the truckstop there. Sat. nite,quiet,park in the next to the last row,by myself. Have dinner,relaxing,watching TV,go to bed. About 3am,someone is beating on my door,saying they need a fire ext,truck is on fire. Get up in the seat,look out and there's some deranged looking guy jumping up and down next to my door. I look around,don't really see any thing but OK,hang on. Get my pants and shoes on,climb out,and get my ext. out of the side box,deranged guy tries to grab it, I say no,if it's going to get used I'll be doing that.
    Directly behind me in the back row is a conv. Freightliner pulling a reefer. I ask deranged guy is this your truck?No,he's just a vagrant or something. I can smell some smoke,but I don't see any fire,but the windows in the Freightliner look smoked up. Can hear sirens coming,figured I'll let the fire dept. handle this. They come,open the door of the Freightliner,interior of cab is smoldering,no one in there. They drag all the crap out of the cab,mattresses and junk onto the parking lot and give it a good hosing down. Cops are there,want to know who's truck it is,nobody says anything. But,one driver says,I thought I just saw someone up on the roof of the reefer peering over,looking around. Sure as hell,there's some young nutball up on the trailer roof. Cops yell for him to come down,nope,not coming. No problem,firemen put a ladder up,they go up and drag nutball guy down,then cuff him behind his back. Apparently it's his truck,set it in fire,insurance,pizzed at company,who knows what. I go back to my truck,climb up in the seat,close door,and I can see what's going on in my mirror. There is a cop car parked directly next to me,and they bring nutball guy up to the car,deranged guy is following. Nutball asks cop if he can have a cigarette,deranged guy gives him one,then asks the cop if he'll take the cuffs off so he can smoke it. Here's where it gets funny. Cop takes handcuffs off nutball (wrong) and he takes off like a rabbit shot out of a cannon. Out across the parking lot,jumps the fence,and out across the desert scrub.
    All nite long for hours,sirens zig zagging all around the area. Finally go to sleep.
    Get up in the next morning,burnt pile of stuff still lying there in the lot,go in for coffee ask the fuel girl about last nite. Yeah,they finally caught the guy,said he was being held for mental evaluation. Ya,think?,lol.
    Anyhow,told you it would be long,and the related part,the cops and nutball guy,did not fall through the trailer roof. True story.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.