canada bs

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by tharealbaer, Sep 28, 2011.

1. scottied67

scottied67 Road Train Member

Mar 14, 2010
    california norte
    I got a speeding ticket in North Carolina in 1989. Paid the ticket. A few months later was refunded back to me along with a letter stating my driving privileges in that state were revoked. Oh well, I was about to be discharged from the Marine Corps back to California, who cares? Fast forward to 2010, going to get CDL, denied as 1 state in the union has me revoked. Called North Carolina, paid some $50 admin fee and reinstated.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. tharealbaer

tharealbaer Bobtail Member

Aug 4, 2010
    Waterford, MI
    No, it was the one on 402 east of Sarnia. BTW, can anybody tell me the best way to dodge the coups between Sarnia and Camberidge?

4. johnday

johnday Road Train Member

That was a smarta$$ joke we had along the 401 just before they had the grand opening. I got tagged to go in a number of times. During one of thee brake check weeks, I was in there 3 times in one week.:biggrin_2559:

5. end of the road

end of the road Heavy Load Member

Jul 4, 2010
    Northern Canada
    Don't cross the border. Don't want to run legal here, stay out. Protectionism works both ways.

6. tharealbaer

Aug 4, 2010
    Waterford, MI
    I have no problem running legal, but if you look hard enough you can find something on any truck. I don't care if that truck's fresh off the dealer's lot, if MOT's looking to raise funds, they will. And they seem to love American trucks for it. If the yellow lights are flashing, I'm going to be out of service for something.

This time that I mentioned in the thread starter was legit. I should have said "F" you I'm not driving this truck. The other time, they "found" an air line. Shady as hell because it was obvious that the mechanic and the MOT officer knew each other quite well. This particular mechanic's phone number was the only one available. The "bad" airline was thrown out before I had a chance to look at it, and I know for a fact that it was fine.

From my own experience and from speaking with other drivers, I have accepted it as fact that if I go into the inspection station my driving CSA score and my bank account, and those of my company are going to be raped. This time it was a ticket for $390.00. I don't have $390.00 to donate to any charity, especially not to fund this BS.

Given the choice in the matter I wouldn't cross the border, but unfortunately I have to do as I'm told. Therefore my only recourse is to simply avoid the inspection stations. Let me reiterate that I'm not a #### pirate trying to run illegal. last minute "get this truck and trailer that you are unfamiliar with over there now" is what happened the other day.

7. tharealbaer

Aug 4, 2010
    Waterford, MI
    Also, to all you Canadians on this thread; I may be making myself out to be anti-Canadian. This is not the case. In fact I've liked most of the Canadians I've dealt with over there. The situation with MOT busting Americans' balls is not unique to Canada. I know that in the United States, we have certain states that operate in a similar fashion, and our DOT probably does the same thing to Canadians. I don't like that either but it is what it is, and therefore I'd like to avoid it where possible.

BTW, although I'd prefer to deal with a DOT officer any day over an MOT officer, I like your customs agents a lot better than ours. Yours are at least polite about doing their jobs. Ours seem to be power tripping A-holes. (with exceptions, I've met a few American Border Petrol agents that I've liked)

8. Old Tom

Old Tom Light Load Member

Sep 22, 2010
    SW Ontario
    Take Hwy 40 south (exit 6, IIRC) to Hwy 7 East, and you can run it all the way out to Hwy 21, and back on 402.

For the Essex scale, coming off Ambassador Bridge, take EC Rowe Expressway East to Patillo Road. South on Patillo to the stop light, turn left and your on County Rd 42, take it all the way out to the 401. The Pilot will be on your right hand side before you get on the ramp if you need to stop. MTO has been quite active on 42 the past while, but if they ask why you're on that road, no problem -"It is is a legal truck route, it is shorter miles than going all the way out to 410 from the bridge, and @ a 50mph speed limit you save fuel."

9. Old Tom

Old Tom Light Load Member

Sep 22, 2010
    SW Ontario
    No problem tharealbaer.

The MTO have become much more aggressive the past 10 years, almost like wannabe SWAT members. Most are fairly polite, but nothing like they used to be. Had a neighbour of mine retire from the MTO some years ago. He couldn't wait to get out. Hated the new black uniforms, claimed it made the new guys feel like the SS. He was old school MTO, would come into the truckstop and have a coffee with you, generally all around good guy. He'd give a guy a break on some things, but you'd better have it fixed, cause he'll be pulling you over the next day !! :)

The whole DoT/MTO thing has gone from "Safety Enforcement" to "Revenue Generation", and I'm sure that isn't news to anyone on this group.

10. mgfg

mgfg Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2010
    I can't believe people actually cross the Sarnia and Windsor/Essex scales as they are so easy to get around!

To go around the Putnam scales (east/west bound) you would go north on Veteran's Way (former Airport Road) in London and follow it north about 6 lights to Dundas Street. Turn right (east) on Dundas and follow it all the way to County Rd #6. Turn right (south) and it will take you to the 401 and you will re-enter the 401 just west of the Ingersoll/Woodstock service plazas.

11. tharealbaer

Aug 4, 2010
    Waterford, MI
    excellent. Thank you very much Old Tom and mgfg

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Draft saved Draft deleted