Can't sleep while truck is moving

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Davidbenjamin, Aug 17, 2020.

1. farmerjohn64

farmerjohn64 Road Train Member

Jun 25, 2019
    I was in training a few months ago, seems odd seeing all you new fellers and complaining about the same #### I did lol you’ll survive and be in your own truck like I am right now if you just hang in there

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. farmerjohn64

farmerjohn64 Road Train Member

Jun 25, 2019
    I completely agree that the trainer should be awake while you’re driving and teaching you, all about the money sadly

Short Fuse EOD Thanks this.
  4. TravR1

TravR1 Road Train Member

Nov 9, 2017
    TX
    I had to look up that word, "roofie." At one point that thought went through my head as a joke that maybe I was being "date raped." But that's not happening. LOL. It's just a consequence of learning to sleep while you are on a roller coaster ride, as I am sure you understand because you were a trainer at one point and you get it to some degree.

farmerjohn64 and otterinthewater Thank this.
  5. SoulScream84

SoulScream84 Road Train Member

Mar 21, 2020
    Deleted

Last edited: Aug 27, 2020
  6. ncmickey

ncmickey Road Train Member

Jun 21, 2013
    Durham NC
    This is why I started at a company that the trainer sat in the passenger seat and I drove all miles....
    I can’t sleep in a moving car, train or plane either....

Canadianhauler21 and fishonron Thank this.
  7. otterinthewater

otterinthewater Road Train Member

May 10, 2018
    Santa Barbara, Ca
    LOL. I’d wake up instantly if the truck stopped moving.

8. TravR1

TravR1 Road Train Member

Nov 9, 2017
    TX
    Idea for a Youtubes video

*Truck stops. Wakes up* where are we? *rubs sleep out of eyes*

Trainee: Loves, I need to pee, and I thought I would grab a shower."
    You: This is the fuel island. Are we getting fuel?
    Trainee: No.
    You: There is a parking spot literally directly in front of us, just pull forward and park there if you want to shower.
    Trainee: But it's so far away.
    You: Its literally right there. Just pull forward, there's 3 trucks behind us.
    *trainee drives forward, then steers right*
    You: Why are you turning right? I said just literally pull straight ahead, directly straight, that's it. Where did hear "turn right"?
    Trainee: I thought it would be easier to pull through over there..
    You: That's the weigh station, we cannot park there either.
    Trainee: But those spots are so far away. We aren't going to be here that long.

Then we can film the long, dramatic walk "The Final Mile"... about two truck lengths from the spot to the building... with heroic background music... trainee packing a heavy shower bag the whole way. Very dramatic.. dodging piss jugs and dip wads the whole way.

I'm telling you it's golden if done right.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2020
  9. otterinthewater

otterinthewater Road Train Member

May 10, 2018
    Santa Barbara, Ca
    LMFAO!

“Dip wads & Dill holes” is the name of my new alt punk country band.

10. Flashdrive7

Flashdrive7 Medium Load Member

Apr 24, 2015
    West Coast
    I recently hired on with a mid size company. Although I have several years experience, because of some difficulties in verification I'm forced to ride with a trainer for about three weeks. I hate teaming of any kind. Can't sleep, having to share the truck with someone. Constant bickering. My Trainee period is almost over. However, I have heard that the company pressures drivers to run teams. I will not do it. If they try to strong arm me, I'm walking out the door.

Davidbenjamin Thanks this.
  11. Midlife Trucker

Midlife Trucker Light Load Member

Dec 3, 2011
    Shady Dale, GA
    This was one of the reasons that I’m glad I went with Millis Transfer. I did nearly all the driving and my trainer, was not only awake but in the passenger seat. That’s right, for the six weeks (five really, Thanksgiving fell in there) I drove like I would after I get my own truck and my trainer was there to answer questions and give me pointers. In other words, instead of being asleep, he was training me.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.