Carrier schools requiring less than a year

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by Whatagal, Oct 2, 2021.

1. Whatagal

Whatagal Light Load Member

Aug 3, 2020
    North Texas
    Does anyone know of any carriers schools that let you work for them less than a year in order to work off the cost of school? Asking for a friend who has a CLP in Ft. Lauderdale, FL.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    [​IMG]
    Up to $110,000 a year
    Some Sysco terminals hire trainees with a CDL-A Permit and that work is local.
    I don't think there's an obligation because you're an employee from day one and working with another driver making deliveries.

Coriolanus Thanks this.
  4. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Some companies have the one yr. contract for attending their school, but you have the option of paying off the debt, pro-rated, and that cancels the rest of the contract.
    Stick with the company until you're ready to leave, then pay off the rest of the contract.

5. Lunatic Fringe

Lunatic Fringe Medium Load Member

Oct 1, 2016
    The shortest obligation I know of is CRST (8 months). It's team driving though. The best option is to use FREE gub'mint money. The Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act (WIOA) will pay for truck school. Go here for a list of eligible training providers in Florida and information on how to use the program.

feldsforever and Bean Jr. Thank this.
  6. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Yeah, CRST hires students as far South as Miami.
    ~
    [​IMG]

7. Goldenfan

Goldenfan Heavy Load Member

Apr 8, 2013
    WI
    Raider Express based in Texas and only hires from Texas. The last I seen they have no contract at all for their school. You can't get better than that.

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  8. BennysPennys

BennysPennys Road Train Member

Sep 24, 2021
    I agree with Lunatic Fringe. Call your State Workforce Commission or what ever your state calls it and ask about the WIOA Program- The Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act (WIOA) and they will pay for truck school. It is a very easy program to qualify for. If you are turned down for the WIOA program (as I was at first turned down then latter approved- the lady I was dealing with said that because I had a College Degree I did not qualify to have them pay for Truck Driving School) call your State Representative and tell them your having problems and there office staff will contact your States Workforce Commission and you will get you approved-I did after calling.

This way you will not be tied to a training trucking company for up to a year that if you leave before they will jack up the cost of their truck driving schools cost from a $3K Cash price to over $7K. Bottom Line you Will have the Freedom to put yourself in a better situation for you and your family, without being contractually bound to a trucking company that can hurt you hard in the pocket book if you leave early.

After you get your CDL listen to the very wise advice that Chinatown gives.

Chinatown Thanks this.
  9. TGwaltney89

TGwaltney89 Bobtail Member

Sep 25, 2019
    Nashville, TN
    I spoke with a Schneider recruiter last week and she said that for both their Apprenticeship Training and Contract Training programs, you will need to sign a 9 month contract. I hope this helps.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.