CDL School student looking for recommendations for companies to apply to

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by VinceBlack, Nov 29, 2021.

1. Frank Speak

Frank Speak Road Train Member

May 3, 2016
    I think you’ve got a great plan. Learn the ins and outs of trucking with Prime for a year and then lease a truck from them and be your own boss.

VinceBlack Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. WesternPlains

WesternPlains Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2017
    Forget prime for leasing. They screw their lease drivers. Double “brokered” loads. Giving you a lemon truck.
    I’d try any of the others that China mentioned. National Beef’s trucking division. National Carriers. Talked with a driver. She’s happy there. Good coverage from dispatch. Great driver manager. She did say she stays away from the home terminal in Irving Texas. Near Dallas Fort Worth.
    And you’ll get to go to Dodge city KS, and the wonderous Liberal Kansas! Where the house that fell on the witch is at! You haven’t lived till you’ve driven a truck down Pancake Boulevard!

Last edited: Nov 30, 2021
    Flat Earth Trucker Thanks this.
  4. WesternPlains

WesternPlains Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2017
    You should just establish residency in a non state income tax state.
    You can do all that in South Dakota. America’s Mailbox is very good with that.

5. VinceBlack

VinceBlack Light Load Member

Nov 6, 2021
    The Badlands
    Thanks @Frank Speak although I was hoping for one of your smart Alec replies but I'm sure I'll get enough posts on here to get one from you eventually lol
    I have a specific personal circumstance that I'm not getting in to (not anything legal related, I have a squeaky clean background) that would make it not beneficial to leave FL residency, but I appreciate the advice. Luckily FL also has no state income tax as well. If that means I can't be hired by some companies even though I'll never be taking home time in FL then so be it.

6. Frank Speak

May 3, 2016
    Patience is a virtue...

VinceBlack Thanks this.
  7. lual

lual Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2020
    SW Georgia
    If you instead started out with one of Chinatown's recommendations, you would probably do better financially....$$$$$$$$$$.

--Lual

Chinatown and VinceBlack Thank this.
  8. Frank Speak

May 3, 2016
    The last time I was in Dodge City, there was a naked man running (No, not a Kentuckian sad to say) through the Love’s parking lot with the 3 cops hot on his tail.

9. VinceBlack

VinceBlack Light Load Member

Nov 6, 2021
    The Badlands
    Thanks for the feedback, I'm going to be reaching out to those companies as well as any others that anyone recommends in this thread.

My main focus is the training the first year. I believe the money will come in the long run when focused on building a safe foundation.

I got a chance to sit down with the placement coordinator at my school. She suggested Werner and Knight based on recent graduate feedback but said most companies would probably be happy to hear that I don't need to come back to FL and want to stay on the road for the next 2 years.

10. Flat Earth Trucker

Flat Earth Trucker Road Train Member

Nov 19, 2018
    It took a Prime lease operator going to the United States Supreme Court to finally be paid.

Bear in mind FFE pays you to train.

TxFLdino57 and VinceBlack Thank this.
  11. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    You'll make more money with companies other than Werner and Knight.
    All schools recommend Werner, Knight, Schneider because those make their job placement easy.

TxFLdino57, sventvkg and VinceBlack Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.