CDL Training Journal - Suncoast Trucking Academy

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by VinceBlack, Nov 7, 2021.

1. VinceBlack

VinceBlack Light Load Member

Nov 6, 2021
    The Badlands
    Video on CDL Permit Process:
    Video on WIOA Grant Process:

Suncoast Trucking Academy Enrollment:
    On Monday morning I got a call back from Suncoast Trucking Academy. I can say in my next few discussions with them everything was like the first call, extremely helpful. I'm guessing whoever I talked to on Friday was just having a bad day or something. The Enrollment Director called me and let me know everything was good with my application and they were going to get me enrolled so I could start the WIOA grant application process. They said they were booked about 3 weeks out which would be fine because the WIOA grant takes about 2-3 weeks for approval anyways.

Problem: I wouldn't be testing until two weeks into January due to the holidays and my lease ends on December 31st so I wouldn't have anywhere to stay. I explained the situation and they said to give them a few hours and see if they could bump someone and get me started in 2 weeks instead so I'd finish just after Christmas. I decided to just assume it would all work out and followed up with the WIOA grant case worker.

She finally called me back in the afternoon and I explained the situation. I told her the school could start me by 11/29 if we could get the grant paperwork approved by then. She asked when I could meet with her and I said I can be there right now! We made an appointment for the next morning. She gave me a list of everything I needed to bring and the only thing I didn't have was the acceptance letter from Suncoast Trucking Academy. I called them back and they said it actually seemed like I would be able to start the 29th so everything should work out. They emailed the letter to the case worker and me immediately.

WIOA Grant Application Process: Tuesday morning I went to the office and we began the application process. It took about 90 minutes. I had to provide my Driver's License, Birth Certificate, Social Security Card, 5 years of job/wage history, High School Diploma, Bachelor's Degree, Resume, last six months of household income paystubs (just me) and I think that's about it. She started scanning everything and filling out all of the paperwork. I had to sign off on all of it as well as her. There were a few more items that needed to be filled out but she said she would work on them throughout the day and I would just need to come back in the following morning to sign off on them and we could get it submitted to the state for approval.

She explained the entire process which actually continues for a year after graduating from the school to continue to provide job search assistance if needed and to stay informed if people using the grant actually stay in the industry or not. She also explained there are a few different pools for the grant money which are underemployed workers, unemployed workers, adult career changers, and those affected by COVID-19. I was laid off at the start of the pandemic so I qualified for the COVID19 pool. She said that was good because most of the other ones are already exhausted so I wouldn't have been able to get the grant otherwise.

She filled out the rest of the paperwork that day and I came back the next day. There were a lot of forms to go over. I had to review the entire costs of the schooling as well as the repayment agreement. If I don't complete the school I am responsible for payment as the grant won't be paid out. As part of that they also go over your expenses/income to make sure you can afford to go to the school etc. so there aren't any surprises where you'd drop out from lack of funds. I had to sign off on forms regarding nepotism etc stating that she and I weren't related and there was no special interest or anything involved in my application. I also had to sign off on my work history, resume, etc.

One of the other items required was my case story since I have a bachelor's degree and am looking to be retrained for a CDL. Since every IT job I've had I've been laid off from either due to budget cuts, outsourcing, or economic conditions and each new job paying less than the previous and little industry for IT workers in the area she noted all of this and I signed off on it. She developed a career plan for me with key dates such as graduating from trucking school, getting a trucking job, and additional followups with her to ensure I would be retrained and earning an income etc. I signed off on everything and she submitted the paperwork. She said since I was able to come meet her and get everything handled immediately with her she could try to push it through and has no reason to believe it will be denied or take longer than my academy start date. So basically now I just wait for the official approval but she said I'm basically good to go as of now.

Suncoast Trucking Academy also called me back and confirmed they were able to get me into the class starting on 11/29 and then I'll test for my CDL on 12/27. This Monday I'll get an email from them going over the info I'll need to know about what to bring for class etc. as well as a copy of the Pre-Trip Inspection sheet so I can start learning it.

I thanked both the Enrollment Director and the case worker for jumping through all of these hoops to expedite everything and fit it all into my time frame. I told them words can't even express how appreciative I am for helping this all come together and I truly mean it. I am very thankful for this opportunity and I'm really excited to crank through this class and hit the road with a company in January. One thing the case worker noted is that they commonly have students fail the first attempt and can't retest for a week. This will push me past my timeline but A) I don't plan on failing, I'm a dedicated hard worker who learns new things easily and train very well and B) IF I were to fail, I can just camp or get an AirBnB or stay with some friends for a few days if needed, but I won't fail.

I'll probably just wait to update again until the first day/week of class. Looking forward to it and can't wait to learn all sorts of new stuff. And then I'm really excited for the real training that will start when I actually hit the road LOL.

RoadSideDown and Chinatown Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. StankinJankin

StankinJankin Bobtail Member

Nov 26, 2021
    Jacksonville, FL
  4. VinceBlack

Nov 6, 2021
    The Badlands
    I'll have another update this week. I'm supposed to start Monday, but the school never sent me my starting packet and they were closed for Thanksgiving and everything. All my paperwork says I'm starting Monday so I'm just going to show up and hope for the best lol.

Chinatown Thanks this.
  5. Lonesome

Lonesome Mr. Sarcasm

Dec 15, 2007
    Northern Indiana
    Following....good luck!

TxFLdino57, VinceBlack and Chinatown Thank this.
  6. TxFLdino57

TxFLdino57 Bobtail Member

Nov 12, 2021
    Jacksonville, FL
    It truly is! I'm just starting on my journey and this almost seems like a blueprint for my own process. I'll be following you closely...but not too close, cuz then it would be creepy?

VinceBlack and Chinatown Thank this.
  7. VinceBlack

Nov 6, 2021
    The Badlands
    Day One Video:

I'm glad everyone is finding the information useful, that's why I'm documenting it.

Day One Recap: Class is 7am - 4pm with a one hour lunch break around 11am. The first week is in the classroom and then you're on the range for the rest of the time. I still hadn't received anything about starting today other than a phone call two weeks ago but then last week the last call I had was that they were still waiting on confirmation the grant went through and they were going to be closed Thursday and Friday but would sent me my start date info once they got that. Last I heard was that today would be my start date so I showed up anyways and brought everything I could imagine I would need. The instructors said they usually only have 4 students and there were 5 there today, but they confirmed all of our info and I didn't get kicked out yet lol.

Class starts with orientation where they take your Driver's License, CDL learner's permit, and DOT Physical card and make copies. Then the Placement Coordinator went over the testing dates, graduation dates, and dates to tell your recruiter when you can start orientation. She then went over what to ask recruiters and a list of some of the companies they work with etc. and how to fill out a job app properly (no gaps, list your actual jobs etc.) told us to pull our own MVR if we weren't sure if something was on it or not etc. The place is pretty cool, no BS. Everyone I've met was a former driver before working at the school. They straight up told us the point of the school is to pass the CDL test and you would learn the real way to do things once you get to your company and go on the road. They had the same advice as on here, pick a good training company and stay for at least 12 months and then go somewhere that is a better fit (if necessary) after 12 months. She also let us know we should start talking to companies now so we can already have a job before graduating. She also sits down with the students one on one to talk about what you want to do and points you in the right direction for what companies to talk to much like @Chinatown does on here. Next they let us know we'd be taking a pee test to start and then we'd be in a pool for weekly random UAs as well. For whatever reason our UA got pushed to tomorrow. They also let us know it's not a big deal if we don't think we'll pass, just let them know and start training when you can pass rather than getting a positive and screwing everything up before you even start training lol.

Next, our classroom instructor introduced himself and his background. He was a former graduate of the school and then came off the road a few years ago to start teaching here. He went over the classroom requirements of the school which is a required 80% GPA at the end to go to the range. If you fail tests your can work with him to retake them. Then he did a quick one on one interview with us to confirm our info and hand out some of the books we'd be using as well as stationary for notes/notetaking.

We watched an intro video and then took a practice test just to get familiar with the process. Basically you watch the video, he'll ask if there are any questions, then you take the test for that section and it's multiple choice and you can use your notes as well as the book. It's pretty impossible to fail, just pay attention to the videos, take good notes, look up the answers if you're unsure. Then you hand in the test for him to score it and take a break until everyone is done. In the breakroom behind the classroom it's an open garage bay with a practice truck with the hood removed and all of the components labeled. You can practice your pre-trip inspection while waiting for others to finish etc. I didn't have my pre-trip inspection info yet so I just got familiar with identifying all of the components etc.

The sections we covered the first day were as follows:
    • CSA scores (drivers/carriers)
    • Drug and Alcohol testing regulations
    • Defensive Driving
    • Driving Techniques
    • Vehicle Inspections (Pre-trip, on-the-road, post-trip)
    Then we got our pre-trip inspection packets and our homework was to study section A (engine compartment) as we'll be diving into that portion tomorrow. Today was basically a day 0 and tomorrow is day 1 according to the instructor. I'll try to get a short write-up every day if I can. I still have to work every night after class so I might miss a few days here or there but I'll at least do a weekly review. Feel free to ask any questions and I'll get them answered.

As a side note, I went to schedule my appointment at the tax collector to take my voucher in after passing the skills exam and I'm glad I did. I'm scheduled to test the first time on 12/28 and appointments at the tax collector for driver's licensing are already booked through 12/27 so I scheduled for one of the only appointments left on 12/29. I better not fail! LOL. My lease ends 12/31 so I gotta make sure I nail the pre-trip and backing on my first try. Speaking of, I better go study section A.

8. RoadSideDown

RoadSideDown Light Load Member

Feb 26, 2021
    Sounds like a solid start. Way to take the initiative and show up regardless. I am finding trucking seems to be pretty minimal on need to know communications. LOL! Best of success on your training!

VinceBlack and Lonesome Thank this.
  9. VinceBlack

Nov 6, 2021
    The Badlands
    I'm a "better to ask for forgiveness than permission" person. I'm still here and learning. I'm guessing it all just got lost with the holiday.

Lonesome Thanks this.
  10. VinceBlack

Nov 6, 2021
    The Badlands
    Day two video:

Day two recap: The day started off with a recruiter from Swift. Afterwards we started off with some of us reciting the first section of the pre-trip inspection to the instructor (reading off of our packet) and he would provide coaching on any issues that arose. Afterwards we went through the "Speed and Space" training which is about maintaining an appropriate speed and space cushion based on conditions. Then we took an extended lunch break and I was able to fully memorize the first part of the pre-trip inspection (engine compartment, front suspension, tires and brakes). After lunch the remaining students did their pre-trip inspection speeches and then we learned about reading maps. They gave us a 2022 edition of the Rand McNally Trucker's Atlas and reviewed the important sections of it. Then we were given a 20 question packet with different routes to plan or information to find in the atlas. While we were working through that we took our drug tests. Then we were cut loose for the day. Overall a pretty easy day compared to the first day. Tomorrow we're covering section B of the pre-trip, Thursday is a Melton recruiter showing up in the morning.

Will update again tomorrow if I have time. Thanks for reading.

Lonesome Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.