CDL Training Journal - Suncoast Trucking Academy

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by VinceBlack, Nov 7, 2021.

1. VinceBlack

VinceBlack Light Load Member

Nov 6, 2021
    The Badlands
    Final Review:

Final Review: Would I recommend SCTA to other students? Yes. They taught me everything I needed to know to pass my test and get my CDL. They worked with me to meet my schedule and I saw them work with other students to meet whatever challenges they had. Would I make changes? Yes. I have mentioned most of it in my journal posts here. I would want to see the instruction on the range and classroom more inline with each other. I'd like more practice time on backing procedures (specifically alley dock) and I'd like to use the same truck the entire time. Are these dealbreakers? No, simply suggestions to make the school perfect, but it's pretty dang good.

If you're considering SCTA I recommend you go for it. Everyone is helpful and wants you to succeed. They give you the tools you need to get your CDL if you put in the effort. Thanks for reading/following along and good luck on your journey if you're working on getting your CDL.

StankinJankin Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. jgarciajr40

jgarciajr40 Medium Load Member

Jun 18, 2016
    Vince, I live in fort myers. You can get your cdl for free.

apply to Suncoast beverage sales once you get your permit.

They have a location in fort myers and punta gorda

ahh, too late.

4. StankinJankin

StankinJankin Bobtail Member

Nov 26, 2021
    Jacksonville, FL
    Thanks again for being so thorough in all of your posts. I felt like I was there in a lot of them, ha ha, this thread has been immensely helpful so far.

I'm doing my DOT physical tomorrow in Miami and then my CDL permit on Tuesday, along with as many endorsement tests as they'll allow me to take.

I interviewed for one job on Friday, should hear back this week. If that doesn't work out, hoping to find something based out of Jacksonville. Planning to meet with a lady at a CereerSource up there about a grant.

Thanks again for the posts. You've helped at least one person so far, and I'm sure there will be more

VinceBlack Thanks this.
  5. VinceBlack

Nov 6, 2021
    The Badlands
    Hey I missed this when you posted it, but good luck and hopefully you're on your way to your CDL by now!

6. VinceBlack

Nov 6, 2021
    The Badlands
    One update I want to make to this thread after talking to a bunch of drivers during Freymiller orientation is that most were surprised, and I was surprised, to find out that at SCTA we were sharing the truck with several other students as well as jumping around to different trucks. These were some of my complaints and I simply didn't know any better. According to these other drivers in my orientation class, including someone who was just coming off a stint as an instructor for a school, they were all in training courses at schools that gave them an assigned truck where it was just them getting to practice all day backing and doing the road driving as instructors were available to ride with them. Many of them were also in much newer equipment and were also able to put in any extra time they needed in the simulator.

I still wouldn't take back my recommendation for SCTA or anything as they definitely provided all of the tools necessary to get my CDL. There also aren't really any other schools anywhere in the SWFL area to compete with them. I would, however, say that if you have the opportunity to go to another school, like all of these other drivers that I spoke with, where you're getting all of that extra practice time by not sharing the truck with 4 other students, I'd highly recommend that as opposed to the SCTA method.

StankinJankin Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.