Cdl training opportunities, northern Kentucky.

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by Jbones919, Feb 27, 2018.

1. Jbones919

Jbones919 Bobtail Member

Feb 27, 2018
    HI guys new here and looking to get into trucking, I'm in northern ky and unable to pay for cdl training so my only option is sponsored training with an employment commitment, right now my only options are crst and Pam transport, but all I read are horrible things are there any other options for me that you guys know of or should I just bite the bullet and make the best of a bad situation and go with one of these 2, no hometime really isn't a issue because I really have no home or family of my own.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Several other choices.
    CFI is ok, www.cfidrive.com is a coast to coast dry van company. They send you to school in Missouri and pay for meals & hotel room while in school. Hair follicle drug test there.
    Millis Transfer - dry van company and runs eastern half of USA. Good company, but if you want to stay on the road, prepare to stay in eastern half of USA.
    Prime Inc. - refrigerated division can keep you moving coast to coast.
    Stevens Transport - refrigerated company that runs coast to coast & border to border.
    Jim Palmer Trucking - refrigerated trucking running 48 states.
    Wil-Trans - refrigerated trucking running eastern half of USA. The man that owns Wil-Trans also owns Jim Palmer Trucking.
    There's a few more. All pay for meals & lodging while in their school.
    Since you can stay on the road, go with a company that has APU on the trucks. An APU is "Auxillary Power Unit" which is for use when on breaks and may not be allowed to idle the truck engine. The APU provides power for heat, A/C, electricity for computer, television, X-Box, etc.
    All those listed above have APU except CFI.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2018
    Jbones919 and Dan.S Thank this.
  4. Jbones919

Jbones919 Bobtail Member

Feb 27, 2018
    What about transportation from lodging to school on daily basis I would have a way to get to the schooling but only by a drop off i wouldn't have my own transportation to and from lodging to school and vice versa unless it's in a reasonable walking distance

5. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    You either stay at lodging at the school or they provide transportation from off site lodging for the students.
    They also provide transportation from your town in Kentucky to where ever the school is across the USA.
    You will need a social secutity card that's not laminated.

Jbones919 and Dan.S Thank this.
  6. Jbones919

Jbones919 Bobtail Member

Feb 27, 2018
    I have my social, certified birth certificate, proof of an address I can use also I have a dot medical card good for next 2 years if that helps. Will I have to re do the physical at the school or is the medical card I have now good to use

7. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    The medical card is good. You may need to get the cdl permit before leaving Kentucky. Some companies require that from the state your drivers license is from.
    If you don't have the cdl permit, the questions & answers are on here. Scroll to top of this page and click on "CDL Practice Tests"

Jbones919 Thanks this.
  8. Jbones919

Jbones919 Bobtail Member

Feb 27, 2018
    I've been studying and taking practice cdl test out the yin yang I feel confident I can pass the general knowledge, air brakes, combination, tanker test and get my permit. I'm just trying to find the best opportunity for me and seems like Jim palmer or millis transfer may be the way for me to go

Chinatown Thanks this.
  9. Jbones919

Jbones919 Bobtail Member

Feb 27, 2018
    Thank you tons for your help chinatown

Chinatown Thanks this.
  10. doninwooster

doninwooster Light Load Member

Feb 19, 2018
    Wooster, OH
    What is the difference between APU's and EPU.s?

11. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    APU is powered by a small diesel engine, similar to what you see on recreational vehicles.
    EPU is battery powered & after a few hours use, have to start the truck engine to charge the EPU's batteries.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.