Cheap tires !!!

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by Eso, Aug 3, 2014.

1. Eso

Eso Bobtail Member

Jul 24, 2014
    I love goodyer and yokohoma :)

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Mooose

Mooose Light Load Member

Apr 13, 2014
    Sherwood Park,AB
    I know this takes the subject a little sideways but as long as everyone is talking tires how about some tire input on this: I've got a 43' tandem axle horse trailer with 17.5 Birdgestones that have been really serving me well, I recently did a 12 hour round trip with a full load (approx 20k) and the return portion of the trip across the prairies was brutal with extreme cross winds catching the drivers side. couple of hours from home I stopped to do a walk around and noticed bad "cupping" on the drivers side rear wheel only. The trailer had a complete alignment in the last 24 months and a full wheels off commercial inspection in January. My mechanic says extreme wind could do that in a short trip, my tire dealer says the trailer must be dog tracking. (Tire pressures run at 110 per manufactures recommendation)
    No the trailer has not be curbed.
    Anybody got any thoughts as to what would do that on one wheel only in such a short period of time?

4. Eso

Eso Bobtail Member

Jul 24, 2014
    I am not mechanic but it looks to me as it could be bearing problem.

Mooose Thanks this.
  5. seabring

seabring Road Train Member

Apr 24, 2011
    Tires are like engine oil....find what works for you and stick with it!

heavyhaulerss Thanks this.
  6. Pool6710

Pool6710 Medium Load Member

Aug 10, 2014
    Minnesnowta
    I'm never buying recaps ever again. They never stay balanced and I get 1mpg less then my Michelins

7. rockyroad74

rockyroad74 Heavy Load Member

$5400 sounds far fetched for 8 Michelin drive tires. You can by 24.5 H rated low pros for around $470 each on national account. The smaller 22.5 low pro G rated are even less. Call OOIDA to get national tire account pricing.

If you can not get any tire to last on your truck, it's past time to look at bearings and shocks or alignment problems.
    It doesn't matter how old the truck model is. The quality of your components and staying up to date with proper maintenace is what is key.

Drive tires will last over 300000 miles. I got 400000 out of my last set of drives.
    Steer tires in a linehaul application will last 150000 to 200000 on my old 1999 truck. But it has new bearing and shocks and tie rods and kingpins and spring bushings and drag links. You can't blame tires when you ignore the other components.

8. MOGLAR

MOGLAR Heavy Load Member

Jun 19, 2013
    Kansas City , MO
    Here is a news flash. Bridgestone makes tires in Thailand....so does the other companies. Michelin has a huge footprint in Asia and owns other tire plants and uses the same technology! Tire companies love it out there cause they are closer to rubber plantations (which they also own). So don't think for one second because it's made in Asia it sucks. To take a hard look at your tires lol. My Bridgestones were made in Thailand lol.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.