Coasting trucks, what's the point??

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by Dave1837, May 9, 2021.

1. Doealex

Doealex Medium Load Member

Feb 21, 2018
    A friend of mine used one of those mechanics; his brand-new company glider truck was flying after the tune-up, albeit excessive black smoke coming out of his stacks. Needless to say that he didn't have a job the next week after the engine went kaput. I've had a similar issue when a shop (not a dealer) did an overhaul on my truck; the engine had a micro-crack on the head before and after the repair. And that is after I paid for a different head. Now I have a principle - the only repairs will be done by the dealer with a warranty; otherwise - new equipment purchase.

Last edited: May 11, 2021
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Judge

Judge Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2014
    Newport, Ar
    The mechanics I use are mechanics.
    One used to work at Freightliner, certified on Dd13 and DD15 engines.

other came for KW, he’s good on cummins and paccar
    He turned up the cummins engine 6-7 years ago, still running today.

4. Doealex

Feb 21, 2018
    The mechanic I’ve used came from Cummins dealer; the shop owner had to pay for his brand new Corvette somehow. I guess they never pressure tested the head they were installing; I was new in business so I got screwed. And here is a lesson for all newbies out there - you get what you pay for in trucking just like anywhere else!

Last edited: May 11, 2021
  5. 25(2)+2

25(2)+2 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 18, 2006
    the road less travelled
    Stop the engine was on golf carts, it seems to be fine on the newer car we just got. Can disable that by letting off the brake just before it stops and then pushing it hard. Starts unnoticed, other than the hvac fan also slows and goes back up to speed. Never hear the starter with that feature.

6. Doealex

Feb 21, 2018
    I bought them brand new.

7. buckmanmike

buckmanmike Light Load Member

Jan 20, 2010
    in the country, georgia
    On the F150 its easy to override the stop/start . Google is your friend. I have a 2019 F150. Took me about 15 seconds to disable.

Cattleman84 Thanks this.
  8. Cattleman84

Cattleman84 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2017
    The Sticks, Idaho
    It's unnecessary wear and tear on the starter, flywheel, oil pump, ect. ... Which in the long run will cost you more than the fuel savings the start/stop gained you.

9. Cattleman84

Cattleman84 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2017
    The Sticks, Idaho
    There's only a few places in the country that I think coasting might save you fuel... In gear or out of gear. One that comes to mind is I-80 East bound from Sherman summit (by the Lincoln statue) to Cheyenne. I'm governed at 67 and I can maintain between 70 and 80 over that entire stretch.

God prefers Diesels Thanks this.
  10. Eowyn

Eowyn Medium Load Member

Jul 5, 2016
    TN
    A couple of years ago when I was driving for someone in a governed truck it had this feature. Even taking off cruise control on steep down grades if I went too fast or even just trying to slow down manually it would slam into a slower gear. It was a kw with an Eaton auto.

On a side note we have our own truck now, it is a Volvo, but we had them put the governor up to 75. It has helped to keep me getting into trouble.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.