Comfort Pro Apu Issues (solved)

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by mitchtazz, Apr 12, 2014.

1. Antinomian

Antinomian Road Train Member

Feb 17, 2013
    When you reinstall the generator don't over tighten the fan belt. Those generators have cheap bearings and a too tight fan belt will destroy them. That was a $1600 lesson.

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Jjjjski

Jjjjski Bobtail Member

Oct 22, 2022
    Hi. Newbie here. I have a PC6022 and it won’t start when it is cold outside. I need to run truck first to warm up coolant. I am thinking glow plugs might be the issue. Thoughts? Also when I use the heat selection it does not get very warm. Does the apu heat using truck coolant or is there a heating element I should check?
    Thank you!

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  4. Antinomian

Feb 17, 2013
    The starting issue does sound like old glow plugs. Make sure the engine is stone cold before you try to remove them. And be careful. It's better to have a bad glow plug than a broken one.

FYI: Never be tempted to try starting fluid on that little Kubota motor.

As for the heating issue, yes there is an electric heating element inside of the under bunk unit. Make sure your ducting is connected and clear. Make sure your air filter is clean. Make sure the fan is running. It's been a while since I had a Carrier and I don't remember where the fuse is, but if you're getting some heat then that probably isn't the problem anyway. If that doesn't solve it then you may need to take it to a shop. My old PC6000 used to get very hot and it doesn't look like the PC6022 is very different.

Is the 110 volt power working?

5. Ffx95

Ffx95 Road Train Member

May 18, 2017
    The heat never felt insanely hot but it’ll warm up the sleeper real quick for me. Been in a couple -10f nights and it’s kept the sleeper at 80f. Does it constantly crank and won’t get started or does it slow crank? I’ve had it crank and start at a real low rpm then slowly go up. Could be the fuel filter or the glow plugs for me it was the fuel filters since there were some nights I would forget to treat the fuel and it would get really cold those filters plug up quick since they’re very small.

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  6. Seba9991

Seba9991 Bobtail Member

Oct 25, 2022
    Hi, newbie here too, I have a proheat gen 4 and I'm getting the following errors on the circuit board outside in the engine compartment: AltPower and SolHold, both red light, no heat, please help.
    Generator is new, 10 months old and I just replaced the capacitor and nothing.

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  7. Anonymousproxy

Anonymousproxy Road Train Member

Mar 2, 2015
    image.jpg Having another problem with this ###### apu. When hitting the start button it’ll go to the usual “preparing to start” message(or something similar, but after a few seconds or when it’s about to crank over the controller will go completely out without any engine cranking. I’ll start the truck and run it awhile then the controller will light back up as if it was rebooting. Tried to restart it again and it’ll do the same thing. I pulled the battery cover and looked in other places and nothing was loose. Also pulled covers on the apu and hvac box sane thing, all fuses still good, and hitting the red button on the generator dies nothing. I’m pretty much ready to take a sledgehammer to the #### thing.

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  8. KB3MMX

KB3MMX Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2014
    Orrstown, PA
    I'd let Carrier deal with the nonsense especially if it's still under warranty.
    I've moved away from the Carrier on my other truck and went with a Green APU 3cyl kubota. So much better quality, smoother and far quieter than the Carrier 2 cyl.
    I'd highly recommend the New model Green APU 3cyl over a carrier apu in 2023

9. Antinomian

Feb 17, 2013
    Does the three cylinder burn noticeably more fuel?

10. Anonymousproxy

Anonymousproxy Road Train Member

Mar 2, 2015
    My company has started going towards the green apu’s, after so many problems with the POS carriers.

anyhow t
    I left the truck at a carrier place to be worked on while I was home. Turns out is was a bad set of glow plugs.

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  11. Antinomian

Feb 17, 2013
    That would cause it to crank but not start. It wouldn't cause what you described. Your problem sounds like an electrical fault. I once had the power lead to the compressor short against the housing of the compressor. The symptoms were exactly what you described. When I would try to start it the control unit would say starting then just go dark.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.