Coming to complete stop in a 10 speed

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Calical1888, Nov 6, 2015.

1. Pmracing

Pmracing Road Train Member

Jan 28, 2011
    Arlington Heights, IL
    Rolling more than a truck length while out of gear is a fail!
    Sitting at a stop light not in gear is a fail!

But who doesn't do both those ever?

Mikeeee

ncmickey, Canned Spam and scottied67 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    Its been my experience that how I stopped depended on the situation. If I came up to a stop sign I just coasted in gear to a stop engaging the clutch as I did so then put transmission into gear and waited to go. If I were in a lot of stop and go like a series of red lights I tried to maintain my pulling power by staying in the correct gear for my speed. Its a lot of work but keeps you from holding up traffic sometimes because your not doing gear recovery. My last few years driving was in automatics.

4. j76ny

j76ny Light Load Member

Nov 1, 2013
    Canandaigua,NY
    I usually shift down to about 6th or so coming up to the light, hold the clutch in and-without revving- move into the gear I need to be in to get started. That way if you don't have to come to a complete stop you can just let out the clutch and go without flailing away trying to find the right gear. If you do have to stop, depending on your weight, 2nd to 4th and away you go.

5. BIF MALIBU

BIF MALIBU Heavy Load Member

May 21, 2010
    lake cushman wa
    our mechanics have always said they always swamped with clutch brake repairs because of people putting the clutch to the floor while in gear
    maybe mega truck co swap the clutch brake every service so you can keep it in gear
    i minimize the down shifting.
    when im almost stopped barely rolling i use one inch of clutch pedal and put it in neutral
    i only put the clutch to the floor when im stopped putting it in gear
    i stop when i can still see the rear tires of the car in front of me so i got an out and way back if its motorcycles.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2015
    Reason for edit: detail
    ncmickey Thanks this.
  6. Alaska76

Alaska76 Road Train Member

Jan 20, 2014
    Inland Empire, WA
    That's the ticket!

7. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    Yes you have to watch how you use that clutch brake. This is why I learned to never push clutch all the way down while stopped. Just enough clutch pedal to engage clutch. If you ever are forced to drive a truck with a burned out clutch brake, well lets just say you will start calling yourself a gear jammer for real.

Canned Spam Thanks this.
  8. omg-downshift!

omg-downshift! Light Load Member

Oct 1, 2012
    South Texas
    If you are just starting out, it is my opinion that you should shift down every single gear when slowing or stopping. No experienced drivers do not do this but this will help you learn what gear to be in without looking at the gauges all the time. Eventually you will shift and skip shift just based on sound and really even just how fast the truck feels. It will take alot more time to come to a stop, however it is way safer for a new driver and it is the equivalent of learning Spanish by moving to Mexico. Every single gear from 10 down to two if loaded, third if empty. Never stop out of gear (yet,lol). Lots of people will not agree but I really think it's the best way for new drivers to not only learn the transmission but NOT learn lazy habits. It should be said I no longer do this but the man that taught me was relentless about shifting and not being lazy in general. If I was stopping to go to get a drink, back your butt in between those two Petes over there, no way in hell your stopping in the fuel island. No better way to learn to back than doing it every single time you stop. Everything should be about learning and getting better at your craft. Just my two cents.

roshea, OStreet and Canned Spam Thank this.
  9. mountaingote

mountaingote Road Train Member

Sep 22, 2012
    I don't

10. Manny M

Manny M Light Load Member

Sep 27, 2015
    You can come to a stop in 6th gear, just put clutch all the way in, foot on brake to stop. Immediately put in 4th while stopped to take off right away if you have to. While stopped, let your foot off the clutch a little to confirm your in gear when you take off and will not roll back

11. scottied67

scottied67 Road Train Member

Mar 14, 2010
    california norte
    Dude did you not read a few posts above? Never push clutch in all the way while vehicle is in motion, you will burn out the clutch brake.

When coming up to the stop sign downshift as needed and clutch/coast no more than 65 feet to the stop. Must keep truck in gear and clutch engaged while stopped. Someone said they had weak spindly legs, work that shick out.

How far to hold clutch in at stop? Easy, while doing your tug tests let out clutch til you feel power transfer, then you know just a little more pressure is neutral. You only ever push the clutch all the way in to get into first gear for takeoff. My clutch brake is just about gone, I have to gently try to put in in 13th gear and when it almost goes in, quickly bring it back to LO. Yes I take off in LO even bobtail. Don't understand these woosies who take off in 4th gear.

So to recap-- when rolling up to the stop soon as you feel it cavitating (pre-stalling) depress clutch and finish to the stop sign if less than one tractor/trailer length otherwise downshift again. Gotta really practice this one because some weigh stations have you stop before getting on the scale. These guys who say throw the stick in neutral and coast up to the stop-- if you do that at the way station and there is a delay trying to get it back in gear, they will direct you around back to find out what your major malfunction is.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.