Coming to complete stop in a 10 speed

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Calical1888, Nov 6, 2015.

1. Manny M

Manny M Light Load Member

Sep 27, 2015
    DUDE, you can fully engage the clutch as long as you don't put it in gear, only when coming to a complete stop

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Manny M

Manny M Light Load Member

Sep 27, 2015
    I roll up to a stop in 6th gear, then fully engage the clutch and brake while stopping

4. Pmracing

Pmracing Road Train Member

Jan 28, 2011
    Arlington Heights, IL
    My 12 speed auto doesn't either! Hahaha

Mikeeee

5. AM14

AM14 Road Train Member

Oct 6, 2015
    Jefferson Twp. NJ
    I'm still in school and have only been on the road twice for 30 minutes each so don't take this as advice, its just what I was taught. My instructors have me downshifting to 6th when I am approaching a stop sign or red light then once fully stopped, shifting to 3rd (empty trailer) and holding it there until I take off and try to get through as many gears as I can before I enter the intersection. Coasting in neutral would be an automatic fail on the test as someone above stated because you are not in control of your vehicle.

6. crzyjarmans

crzyjarmans Road Train Member

Jun 9, 2010
    Home
    Sorry I don't agree with this, IMO down shifting is the best way, I always down shift to at least 4th gear when coming to a stop, light changes and waalaa, your of and running

AM14 Thanks this.
  7. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    I had to call a friend to get the facts again. In an earlier post someone said something about taking too much time in a scale and getting called to the back. My friend whom used (special emphasis on the word USED) to be a trainer. Was going through the west bound scale on I-40 in West Memphis Arkansas. They were stopped for a logbook check on the static scale. Then upon leaving His trainee jammed the truck into gear with such force he busted a universal Joint and broke several teeth off of that gear. The company had to send a wrecker to get the truck. Needless to say the DOT had to close up their scale and this was during the yearly special enforcement thing on most every June. They were very happy about that. To this day all of us call him jammer.:walk:

Dan.S and Pumpkin Oval Head Thank this.
  8. KMac

KMac Road Train Member

Jan 26, 2012
    Waxahachie, TX
    It's not shifting related, but I crossed a Scale one time, stopped, got the green light, pulled forward and into a rest area 1/4 mile ahead, no need to hit the road, went in to use the facilities, came back out, tried to leave, brakes were locked. A chamber went out on the trailer. All I could think of was #### good timing.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2015
  9. scottied67

scottied67 Road Train Member

Mar 14, 2010
    california norte
    That is fortunate. I crossed Klamath Falls OR scale, passenger side drive tire blew right on the scale and they put up the red light right away. They come running out yelling out of service out of service like they caught bin laden.

She told me if it happened 100 yards prior of after her scale she would not have written it up. Yeah some things you just don't need to tell me ok

10. Canned Spam

Canned Spam Road Train Member

Mar 8, 2010
    STL

My last job every single Vactor truck they had was like that. Only way I could get it in a low gear to take off from a stop or reverse, without grinding and slamming it in there, was to put it in 9th first then back to a low gear or reverse. I tried to go easy on them, but some guys were merciless ha

11. Wargames

Wargames Captain Crusty

Jul 22, 2010
    WI.
    He forgot to tell you he was driving and Automatic, HA,HA, HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.