Company installing driver cams. Now what?

Discussion in 'Canadian Truckers Forum' started by Canadianhauler21, Jan 25, 2024.

1. Peplow

Peplow Light Load Member

Mar 28, 2010
    Ontario

IIRC, the reason the company lost was because they failed to prove that there was a real need to install cameras. The fleet safety record wasn't too bad, so that's why it wasn't considered a valid reason to infringe on the drivers privacy.
    In my employer's case, our CVOR rating was getting near the point of fleet reduction, so we couldn't reasonably say that our privacy was more important than their right to observe the drivers.

Pete

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ilovetruckz

ilovetruckz Light Load Member

Oct 6, 2021
    Piece of tape over the camera.

4. Canadianhauler21

Canadianhauler21 Heavy Load Member

May 15, 2017
    That's what I was thinking would be best for the moment. If I don't like it I can go drive for my friend and when the markets picks up maybe then I will be able to purchase my own truck. I know sometimes companies tell you to buy your own truck and than screw you over whenever they want, that's what I'm scared of.

It sucks that so many companies have driver facing cameras now. I imagine one day they'll make us all use them.

5. hope not dumb twucker

hope not dumb twucker Road Train Member

Aug 23, 2022
    Just moon it. Make ya feel better and people will think twice about looking at the footage.

6. Concorde

Concorde Road Train Member

Jun 29, 2016
    West Melbourne Florida
    So many companies have them now because there’s so many drivers willing to put up with anything. They could get away with putting them in the sleeper turned on 24/7…nothing would change.

Me, I’d quit with zero notice.

7. upnorthwpg

upnorthwpg Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2011
    They have to get written consent from the driver. And have to have a policy explaining how they work, how much is recorded, who holds and has access to the video. In short, don’t give them written consent.

8. hope not dumb twucker

hope not dumb twucker Road Train Member

Aug 23, 2022
    In the sleeper is where I draw the line. When driving ok I agreed to it when I accepted to work here. But on sleeper time no. Stays blocked by two curtains. That’s my time my privacy.

9. Bksrt8

Bksrt8 Light Load Member

Dec 8, 2018
    Oshawa Ont
    What are you doing while driving that causes such concern for having a driver facing camera? If you are driving legally and being a responsible driver you have nothing to worry about. I'm not a fan of cameras either personally but I think it's probably the easiest way to weed out crap drivers, especially for large companies. If I owned 10+ $200k trucks I'd want to make sure my drivers aren't falling asleep going down the road or texting or smoking thier hooka with a goat and 3 other people in the cab....you should be paying attention to the road and being safe...that means being awake, alert and well rested. It's not that difficult to drive a truck if you are following the laws and keeping a safe distance....if a driver isn't doing that, as a company owner, I'd want proof so I could get them off the road and away from trucks immediately. Unsafe idiots have no place in trucking.

10. liner

liner Medium Load Member

Mar 15, 2008
    ontario
    Then he won't have to quit because he will be fired.Problem solved.

11. Judge

Judge Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2014
    Arkansas
    They told you what they’re gonna do, tell them what you’re gonna do.
    I’ve got cameras in mine, but they’re forward facing only, and sound turned off.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.