Confused on what semi to buy

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Alqazaha, Nov 28, 2023.

1. Brandonpdx

Brandonpdx Road Train Member

Dec 27, 2007
    Elkhart, IN
    Who sounds like he came from somewhere on the other side of the world. Just what this industry needs more of.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    I’d like to know what Insurance company quoted $13k on a new entrant.

Beaver9, W923, shanman and 3 others Thank this.
  4. Truckers Report Jobs

5. Alqazaha

Alqazaha Bobtail Member

Nov 27, 2023
    I am trying to get some tips from you guys but most people here are mocking me. I wrote down my list of expenses for one truck to see how much it will cost. I have a dispatcher and an owner operator that will let me use his MC# to get more routes initially.

6. abyliks

abyliks Road Train Member

May 2, 2010
    ludlow MA
    because you don’t have the slightest clue what you are in for yet you already have all the answers….

indy89, wis bang and Iamoverit Thank this.
  7. Alqazaha

Alqazaha Bobtail Member

Nov 27, 2023
    Can you tell me what is happening in the trucking industry? You are right I don’t know much. I just read articles and watched videos of people explaining the costs they had to pay like for licenses, plate, liability insurance, fuel tax, driver salary, fuel, parking, eld device, hotel room, truck accessories for flatbed, maintenance, random drug screenings and drug qualification report, HVUT tax, truck/trailer payment , payroll taxes, accountant fee, load board fee, and dispatcher fee.

8. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    This tells peopel who have been around a while a lot about your lack of understanding what it really takes.
    This says it all.
    Not mocking, we all read this all the time, maybe ten times in a month when there is a push from somewhere outside the industry to make the big bucks.
    Yep it is really simple, READ CAREFULLY!!.

First, there is a 95% failure rate for new owner-operators in the country. There are a lot of reasons why, most are lack of work and lack of money management.

We are faced with an overcapacity of nearly 30% and it is not going down all the while the economy has been faltering in some segments while booming in others.

We have too many cheap owner-operators who will take sub-par rates just to keep the bills paid, and we do not have stringent brokerage regulations for transparency (which we won't do until this time next year). Shippers and Consignees are pulling back from moving freight as easily as they used to which in some respects makes sense if there is less freight to move.

All of this presents more of a problem than easy challenges to overcome by those who think it is as easy to get a truck and get work to make big bucks.

We have one thread going where the OP thinks he can get 50 trucks and it magically means money is rolling in, so I wish some of you guys get that we have seen a thousand schemes and ideas, while 99.999% of them do not work, the .001% that does is just plain luck.

Beaver9, Phoenix Heavy Haul and Numb Thank this.
  9. aussiejosh

aussiejosh Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Airlie Beach QLd
    A job making $10 000 per month stay with it mate that's good money why change?

Beaver9, 77fib77 and wis bang Thank this.
  10. Alqazaha

Alqazaha Bobtail Member

Nov 27, 2023
    If I get my own truck I can take a week off whenever I desire. I dont have expenses since I live with my family I don’t have to pay for bills not even the phone bill so I can afford to pay for other expenses like liability insurance and save for maintenance but I want to make some money too after a while so it seems worth it. If after a year it doesn’t make me any money I will just sell the truck.

77fib77 Thanks this.
  11. w.h.o

w.h.o Road Train Member

Jan 10, 2011
    Chicago, il
    Listen, we get this a lot and most of us just stop paying attention to w.e ur foolish idea is, buts it's 3 pages in and u seem determine.

Get a cdl.
    Buy a truck
    Get insurance
    Apply for mc/dot
    File all the paperwork, 2290, mc- 150(I forgot what's it's call)
    Plates n tags
    Permits
    Subscribe to a load board
    Boom so ez

Please update us.... In 2 days and tell us how much insurance was.

Rideandrepair, Sons Hero and shanman Thank this.
  12. Alqazaha

Alqazaha Bobtail Member

Nov 27, 2023
    Our dispatcher let us use his CDL license to get an estimate from two companies. I am using my brother’s corporation since we are partners and he been driving a box truck for 4 years to transport food. We wanted to see how much it cost to add a driver with CDL to his insurance plan and both companies estimated at $13k-$15k a year max for $1 million auto and $100k cargo with no deductible. I hope we get this since it will save us so much money.

13. w.h.o

w.h.o Road Train Member

Jan 10, 2011
    Chicago, il
    You need to used whoever the driver is to the insurance, ur dispatcher quote would be different than yourself.

77fib77 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs