Conway: From a Rookies Point of View

Discussion in 'Con-Way' started by Rooster13, Apr 30, 2012.

1. xlsdraw

xlsdraw Road Train Member

Nov 17, 2010
    Winter Haven, Florida
    The mileage standard is a minimum standard. Do not count on just the 7500. Trainer can keep you longer if he feels you need it or if you feel like you are not ready. Also subject to dispatch. I was in Laredo with 6900 miles and all I needed was something headed towards Joplin for my 7500. Laredo gave us a load to Portland, Oregon. Ended up with about 11,000 miles. Also, how long the training takes will be dependant on how long you are capable and willing to drive each day. My first day I started driving at Big Cabin, Ok and around New Breunfels, Texas there is a rest area. That is where we switched and took our pepe break at his request.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Wulfwynn

Wulfwynn <b>Brand New CDL Holder</b>

Sep 6, 2011
    Kannapolis, NC
    I think it would depend on what was all in the tattoo. I'd call and ask recruiting though. There was one guy in my class who had some tats and he can work for them.

Roadwarriorking Thanks this.
  4. paul_4lp

paul_4lp Road Train Member

Oct 21, 2010
    Fort Myers, FL
    The min for a new trainee is Now 10k miles...they are also tested at the end to insure the trainer ..trained him!

5. xlsdraw

xlsdraw Road Train Member

Nov 17, 2010
    Winter Haven, Florida
    One more thing. While I also enjoyed Cheddars several times. I have a Sams card and you can get the 1/4 pound hot dog and 32 ounce drink combo with free refills for something like $1.70. I'd buy a second dog and get a cup of vanilla ice cream which is about a buck. For less than $5 I'd get stuffed. All in time to make the next shuttle. You will need a Sams card to get in our befriend someone in the parking lot and enter as a guest. I always treated the shuttle driver with a cup of ice cream or a dog. Their choice.

6. godfather6672

godfather6672 Bobtail Member

Mar 1, 2012
    FL
    Funny I just came out of the school down in miami. And at this moment I sit in the booneslick lodge after going throughout the week orientation waiting for the pick up at 530 am. I also have a tat on right forearm not a sleeve but a person can't miss it.Never had a strange look and or a question.I do have a few things to add that might help out while your down there still in miami. SHIFTING is very important here and I am not speaking about a 10 speed. Also there are no hills in south florida but there are here ...lol downshifting is a must...!
    So far it has been with a 13 speed which aint that much different,once you learn it its kinda cool.and also ally docking ..I know that most people worry about the blind side parallel parking for the test in florida, here it is a 45 alley dock.Also this is all done in a full truck with a sleeper,no day trucks.

Rooster/other future Con-way drivers I have to say that the description provided by Rooster in all his posts is spot on from day one up until the end ...Many thanks for this great thread.:biggrin_25514:

Last edited: May 13, 2012
    Roadwarriorking Thanks this.
  7. paul_4lp

paul_4lp Road Train Member

Oct 21, 2010
    Fort Myers, FL
    I went to cheddar's once,....line was out the door ..,tried to get to the bar for a Togo order,,, and so many people I ran out ...lol.

Trick I've used at Sams/Costco ...just tell them at the door you interested in becoming a member. Headed towards the membership desk then ....browse or go get ur eats...Never been asked for a card for a hot dog!

Last edited: May 13, 2012
    ATL-1 Thanks this.
  8. CarRamRod

CarRamRod Bobtail Member

Jun 19, 2012
    Dallas, TX
    Not to drag up an old thread, but wanted to thank you for this amazingly detailed post, Highside.

9. Bristol

Bristol Light Load Member

Dec 19, 2011
    Florida
    I was hoping to go with Conway but the recruiter said I am out of their hiring area. I live in Tampa, Florida. I am in my last week of driving school.

10. fatherofthree

fatherofthree Light Load Member

Jul 25, 2012
    Iowa
    Sorry to cut into this but does anyone know if any experienced drivers did an orientation thread on this topic? I was going to do one but I havent seen one and just making sure I wasn't going to double post it. Thanks for yall assistance.

11. seawind

seawind Medium Load Member

May 8, 2009
    West Tennessee
    Did you ever get around to doing an orientation or just bouncing around the area? What on earth do they do while you're there?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.