Conway: From a Rookies Point of View

Discussion in 'Con-Way' started by Rooster13, Apr 30, 2012.

1. seawind

seawind Medium Load Member

May 8, 2009
    West Tennessee
    Are you still there? How is it going?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. KansasWhirl

KansasWhirl Light Load Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Kansas
    Hey if Rooster is still around how is it working out taking the Golden Retriever?

4. hawk211

hawk211 Bobtail Member

May 3, 2013
    San Antonio, Texas
    Hey fatherofthree: from what I can see I have not seen an orientation thread for experienced drivers. If you still remember please go ahead and provide info on this so that experienced drivers can read and reply to.
    Thanks hawk211
    post me as well when you do post the thread about your experience, thanks again.

5. aamicone90

aamicone90 Bobtail Member

Jan 22, 2014
    Rooster13 what kind of truck does Conway give you?

6. frankgh

frankgh Medium Load Member

Oct 8, 2013
    NW Florida
    I would like to say this thread is still very accurate. I just finished boot camp. There are minor changes. The smith system is now done here at boot camp and we did not have the night drive. El Charro's was a great place to eat. Have fun! I did!

Swamprat55 Thanks this.
  7. zackery2011

zackery2011 Light Load Member

Mar 3, 2014
    Grand Prairie, Texas
    My school never taught me coupling is this going to be a problem at orientation?

8. mitrucker

mitrucker Road Train Member

Dec 15, 2010
    Lapeer, MI
    Your school didn't teach you how to hook up to a trailer?

double yellow Thanks this.
  9. zackery2011

Mar 3, 2014
    Grand Prairie, Texas
    No they told us when we were signing up we would learn it, but when it came closer to the end of schooling I asked "so when are we going to learn hooking up a trailer?" They told me it isn't necessary to learn to get your CDL so they do not teach it and that it is very easy to learn, so my employer should teach me their way. They basically teach straight up straight back, parallel, and driving the route. That's it. Not what I was told I was going to learn at the beginning. Also don't know how to drive a stick- even though I was told I was going to learn one. Then they say once I sign up and ask what day we learn shifting, they say "Oh yah- the manual truck is broken so you only will learn on an auto. We don't have to teach you the manual it was just an added bonus if you get the chance to do it, but if you like you can come back and learn it free of charge for a day once it is fixed." I was livid. This schools costing me around $3,800. They promised all of these things and then fell short of all of their promises. None of the other students complained though because they are from the WFC. I paid cash.

10. mitrucker

mitrucker Road Train Member

Dec 15, 2010
    Lapeer, MI
    That is terrible. I don't even know what to say.

xlsdraw and zackery2011 Thank this.
  11. zackery2011

Mar 3, 2014
    Grand Prairie, Texas
    ...Yeah that is exactly how I feel. I don't know what to do at this point. I went there because my brother went there 6 months prior to me and told me they were a good school and got on with Transam as a L/O no problem. However, when he was there the stick truck was working, and there was only 2 students per teacher and he would get full days of school 7:30a-3:30p. They signed up to many people now I have to share between 3-7 people on a given day the hours of 7:30a-11:30a and have to finish in the same number of weeks.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.