Cooking without apu or inverter

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking in the Truck | Trucker Recipe Forum' started by Drpparker95, Jun 12, 2017.

1. supersnackbar

supersnackbar Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2007
    Your Town, USA
    With my APU/inverter I have a regular microwave, crockpot, an electric pressure cooker, small coffee pot, and a regular 120v dorm fridge. Some drivers I know have a Geo Forman grill and/or a small toaster oven. (I personally wouldn't fry in a truck, just too messy) but a toaster oven would be great to toast frys or pizza.

2old and El Paso Bob Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. MrEd

MrEd Road Train Member

Sep 2, 2011
    Winfred, SD
    I use the APU a lot with my crockpot. I make pot roast with taters and carrots. Pork blade steak cooked in picante sauce. Chicken leg and thigh quarters cooked in cream of mushroom soup. I make up quite a bit, and have leftovers for several more meals. Not only does it save some money, its tasty, and healthier. I have been wanting to try some different recipes too. I also like to cook on the little propane grill I carry in warmer weather. I keep it in a big plastic tote, to keep it cleaner when not in use. I grill all kinds of things. Same as with the crockpot, I make a lot, and,then,put the leftovers in the fridge for later.

BlueThunderr, tommymonza, 2old and 2 others Thank this.
  4. supersnackbar

Aug 19, 2007
    Your Town, USA
    I used a small crockpot with a small inverter that plugs in a 12v outlet. (3-400 watt). Most companies don't have an issue with using those. I cooked all sorts of stuff in it. The problem was reheating quickly if I didn't remember to throw the leftovers back in the thing early enough in the day to be hot when I stopped for the night.

El Paso Bob Thanks this.
  5. El Paso Bob

El Paso Bob Bobtail Member

Jun 3, 2017
    I was going to ask if you had a refrigerator. Sounds good, I like the multiple meals with one preperation. Do you use the propane grill in the truck?

6. El Paso Bob

El Paso Bob Bobtail Member

Jun 3, 2017
    SuperS, how long DOES It take to reheat something in the crockpot on the inverter? Also, do you have a refrigerator?
    Student Bob

7. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

12v electric coolers were pretty standard in the past but with so many trucks having APUs & inverters it seems real dorm fridges are pretty common. I still see a few drivers, mostly East European, hauling bags of ice for coolers. That will become a hassle eventually, IMO.

El Paso Bob Thanks this.
  8. flybynight12

flybynight12 Medium Load Member

Jan 10, 2015
    slc
    when a truck dosent come with an inverter you install one yourself

BlueThunderr and El Paso Bob Thank this.
  9. supersnackbar

Aug 19, 2007
    Your Town, USA
    My current job, I have a small dorm fridge running off my apu's inverter.

As for the reheat, a couple hours sometimes, depending on how much, and what it was. Meat was tricky to reheat because if you left it a bit too long, it got tough and dried out.

I got real good at making crock-pot meatloaf and crock-pot chili.

BlueThunderr and El Paso Bob Thank this.
  10. dca

dca Road Train Member

May 31, 2011
    Earth
    Propane burner and propane of course, I have a 12 volt lunch box warmer but its in storage now.

11. TexasPhoenix

TexasPhoenix Medium Load Member

Jul 16, 2009
    Wisconsin
    I am having to go back to living like an old timer again. No APU and possibly no inverter. I found the neatest cooker on Amazon. Check out HotLogic mini personal portable oven. Uses a 12 volt plug in. Reasonable cost $39.95. Never did like the lunch box cooker.

BlueThunderr and OPUS 7 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.