Cost for Reefer Wash-outs

Discussion in 'Freight Broker Forum' started by Freight Broker Brooke, Aug 15, 2017.

1. Freight Broker Brooke

Freight Broker Brooke Bobtail Member

Jul 29, 2017
    Hi, guys! I have a new customer that needs the reefer trucks washed before they can haul. How much do trucking companies typically charge for this? If I remember correctly, it's about $75. Just want to double check... It's been a while since I had to do this.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. parkwayautotransport

parkwayautotransport Bobtail Member

Jun 5, 2017
    MN
    We have a truck wash at our facility and only charge 38.60 for washouts, but depending on what they were hauling we charge extra for disposal and by the minute after the first 20 minutes. Our competitors only charge 2$ more next door... not sure if prices are different in different states? lol we are in MN

4. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    Washout Pricing
    That's for a few minutes...takes longer, price goes up. Some locations charge more.

Of course if you (or your customer) is requiring it, then you need to factor in the out-of-route miles needed to drive to and from a washout facility, as well as the time it takes to get done...which if it is busy could be a while. Having an idea where the facilities that can do a satisfactory washout are located in the vicinity of your customer might help, as well, as you'll be able to direct trucks there "on the way" to help them out depending upon which direction they are coming from and know exactly what the cost will be. You might even work out a deal with one that might discount their usual fee by a couple bucks for trucks heading to your customer to load in exchange for that washout facility being recommended to them. Or, it might even work out to your benefit to just have an account at that facility so that you're paying the bill for the washout directly instead of paying for it (plus a little) for the carrier to add that cost to what they'll need to haul the load...that way, you can work out with the facility EXACTLY what is expected so that trucks show up to that customer in an acceptable condition and ready to load.

5. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    Just put something on the rate con like "requires wash out ticket prior to loading"
    And pay a decent rate for the load, it doesn't need to be an extra type thing. It isn't in the same realm as lumpers. In my mind as a reefer hauler part of the deal is showing up with appropriate equipment to pickup the load. That means keep that wagon clean and if it's meat it is washout before and after. I work it all into the all in rate.

6. boredsocial

boredsocial Road Train Member

Apr 13, 2014
    Louisville, KY
    I've noticed that washouts get progressively cheaper the closer you get to a major meat shipper/receiver. I get the impression that for a business owner trailer washouts benefit a lot from being a volume business. Nothing guarantees volume of washes (and competition from other trailer washout places) like a lot of meat volume.

7. supersnackbar

supersnackbar Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2007
    Your Town, USA
    It could also be more expensive if the customer requires it to be sanitized instead of just washed out. $35-$40 was the normal rate I usually paid for a simple washout, unless it was a really nasty cleanout like fresh meat. Some places I went to wouldn't even wash out a trailer if it had blood on the floor. (Their sewage drained into the city's waste water and they forbid them from dumping that much blood into the system)

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.