cost per mile to remain profitable

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by trucker_lady80, Sep 14, 2020.

1. 401-Alex

401-Alex Light Load Member

Nov 25, 2013
    And one more thing per mile "need" i need 1.5 or 3 $ a mile dont really make work. Example last week a pick and drop same day 316 loaded miles. Do you say i need 3 a mile to run it or whatever your $$ is or do you look at it as i can pick today and drop today and make X amount and it will cost X amount of fuel leaving me with a net of... And that 316 mile load i booked was 6.33 a mile.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    That driver salary is what'll sink you IMO. Hard to make enough to pay 2 wages and cover operating expenses with a single truck.

4. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
  5. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    I know of very few members that manage to provide a salary beyond the driver, at a liveable number, and wife/partner - from a Class 8 operation.

I generally clear $90k+\- working 6 months or less, leased on to a carrier. It’s enough for us. My wife takes care of paperwork, but no need for a job.

If it’s possible in the hotshot world - I’m all ears, selling truck and trailer and diving in. And that’s not Sh_t talk - my mind is open.

6. trucker_lady80

trucker_lady80 Bobtail Member

Sep 8, 2020
    Thank you so much Alex for the response.
    Do you calculate your cost per mile every month? I ask because the equation for cost per mile is Total Operating/Salary Cost divided by Total Miles Driven for the month.

I am using 10K miles per month as example for now because I have not completed one month of driving yet.

Thank you,

truckdriver31 Thanks this.
  7. trucker_lady80

Sep 8, 2020
    Thank you Alex for the question.

If my cost per mile is $2.00, and a broker call me with a load for 316 mles round trip for $500. I will calculate the rate for that load as $1.58 which is below my cost per mile.

Therefore I can not take the load or ask the broker for $2.00 to complete the work.

Is my explanation correct or make sense?

Thanks

8. 401-Alex

Nov 25, 2013
    I don't care about miles. Im not a company driver... I aim for highest rate per mile. Most months i work 2 take 2 one off one on and so on. I will work non stop if needed. 10k miles? I didn't even know honestly.. 3 years now I've done 180k for miles .... So that's not the case. Do you want to run 10k for miles and make 10k gross? @1 a mile? Or 5k miles @2 a mile or 3k and make 3 something a mile. Just because you are driving does not mean you are making money. I've done 4600 miles in a week. Needed my 8th day to make it to the delivery. I grossed almost 6500 that week and burned almost 2200 in fuel. I needed to pay bills and i did not like the rate per mile but i knew what i needed to make to pay bills so I got it done.

truckdriver31 and trucker_lady80 Thank this.
  9. 401-Alex

Nov 25, 2013
    I can't even work with little numbers like that. I'm like 900 a day minimum. If you are finding the load off of convoy just know they have hit sub dirt level rates and are not worth the time of day. A load of any kind has you the carrier responsible for it. Why waste your time on 316 miles for 500? Most likely that is a pick today drop tomorrow not worth the effort or time to take up 24 hours of your truck. Short loads pay more always.. Always... Always. 3,4,5,6 a mile less then 2? Might as well ask if you can pay him to move it

10. trucker_lady80

Sep 8, 2020
    Thanks Alex,

So you aim at the highest rate per mile and just drive until bills are covered?

11. 401-Alex

Nov 25, 2013
    Not always. But yes and know.
    #1 total all fixed cost. Im @ current 4k monthly. House, all bills to the house. Company insurance for the Mc# trailer payment and my parking. I pay me 3k a month as a salary. It would be about 750 a week if it were to be broken down. Anything company related i buy through my company bank card. When im home i use my personal. Keep the 2 separate it will help you. Cash is king. If you pay cash for it now it will not have interest on it later.. Cashback on credit works good as long as you pay in full monthly. . so you know it takes 4k do you stop @ 4 and go home? .. No you make more but you know that you got this month covered and now you are saving money and are now in excess of cash to your debt so you are profiting... And just because your company bank account has 5 or 25k in it doesn't mean that its all yours to blow. Gotta stay ready. With cash flow... Find a good CPA and have yourself as an employee of your company. You w2 yourself and the rest is a dividend taxed lower the w2 wages. ..tmi for this post

truckdriver31 and trucker_lady80 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.