Cracked brake pads,

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by KANSAS TRANSIT, Nov 1, 2012.

1. scottied67

scottied67 Road Train Member

Mar 14, 2010
    california norte
    I recently got a DOT inspection at the Monee IL TA. The kid in there found cracks on two brake linings on opposing axles. He used a wire brush and a bright flashlight to show me which were very hard to see, I went ahead and greenlighted new brakes. When they were pulled off the small tiny crack went across the entire face of the lining so I appreciated that guy for being so thorough and not just trying to gouge me for $$$

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. chalupa

chalupa Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2010
    Houston,Texas
    Someday we will get past the "officers interpretation" of the regs. Kudos for doing it right and clean Stan. Few do.

Just a thought...... I have tried to shift my operation game to a different tempo like off hours, nights, change routes. Helps some what........and I may have to give up 3 customers 60 miles east of me...why? Some darn fool decided to build a super coop on I-10 between me and them. I 'll have to cross this scale loaded to serve these customers. So what's the problem? One stop on the scale will likely garner a fine of $250. Fines usually start there and these customers just aren't paying that well.

It's a operation specific problem for me that has to do with risk / reward. I could upgrade the equipment but that would aggravate the equation on the other side so it's a no win AND upgraded equipment is no promise of clean inspections. My locals are after cash pure and simple.

JMO

4. KANSAS TRANSIT

KANSAS TRANSIT Road Train Member

Jul 28, 2011
    Glasco,Ks.

I wouldn't shoot you snowwy, that's the DOT's job, lol Naw it is cracked, but it doesn't go across the face, and as the mechanic said it would have not become an issue.

In all honesty, it's not the fact that I spend the money and the downtime to fix a questionable item. As you can see our equipment is kept up.

What infuriates me is that it's just another couple of points on my maintenance basic after I,

Purchased new equipment
    Have this equipment maintained on a regular basis
    Had equipment DOT'ed just a month ago

Although I was all for CSA showing me where my program needed help, the last couple of months have been a nite mare of accumulated points for petty BS items.

I'll give you a good example, over the last year my trucks were involved in two accidents, on BOTH occasions another vehicle ran into our trailer.

My crash score is now in the 80% range for our segment, how in the hell am I suppose to "improve" my score when people hit us?

Another example, our logging and record keeping score was ALWAYS so low that it never had a number assigned to it. About 3 months ago we hired a driver that was cleared by our insurance company, was road tested by myself, had a clean driving record.

My safety admin spent a whole day with him going over his logging skills and what changes where on going, and how we wanted them done.

On his first trip out (12 days) he gets 10 days in and just decides that this job is not for him, no problem drop the last vehicle and bring the truck back to the yard, except that he decides in Houston TX that since he was not going to be a truck driver he no longer needed to log anything!!!

Drives back to Kansas and gets within 9 miles of the office and gets stopped, everything checks out except of course him not logging for the last two days. Since he tells the officer that he is only 9 miles from dropping the truck off, the officer let's him bring it back and park it.

From THAT ONE STOP, my basic in that area went from NO SCORE, to OVER MY THRESHOLD!!! HOW in the sam hill was I to prevent this???

About a year ago I get stopped in Nev, by DOT, says that I have a flapping/ loose strap on my trailer. He does a full Level 1 everything checks out, we go back to the strap that he pulled me over for, it wasn't loose the end (about 8") was was out of the ratchet, NOT LOOSE.

So he notices a VERY small wear mark on the strap, NOT A TEAR, but a rub mark, so he asks me if I have another strap, which of course I do, I change the strap in about 1 minute flat, so he gives me the my insp. report back and says have a good day.

I DIDN'T look at the report "assuming" it was good, he actually put me OUT OF SERVICE while I was changing that strap.

IMO, it is this kind of BS that makes most people lose all respect for this system, I truly believe that some of these guys thing this is a game, I really don't think that understand what this means to us as a small company.

Stan

West coast trucker Thanks this.
  5. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    i'll just say CONGRATS.

you now realize that csa isn't all that. it's actually a BS program. that gives the cops the power to be the KING. they know it. and they aren't fraid to show it.

6. Down71

Down71 Light Load Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Danville, IN
    Yea, I read the first page and skipped all the rest. But If you are in the right and you took it all apart and found no problems and got pictures. You should take it to court. No one challenges them so they keep getting away with what ever they want. I honestly feel if all the company's would spend the money to take them to court on this stupid stuff some would knock off. I know most places are willing to pay a say $250 ticket rather than $1000 to fight it but if you look at it in the long run all them $250 add up. JMO

Just read some more and still believe the above holds true. They have been getting away with it for so long its just normal now...

7. dibstr

dibstr Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Mississippi
    You can buy, or find online for free the CVSA North American Standard Out of Service Criteria.

Best regards

8. EZX1100

EZX1100 Road Train Member

Aug 18, 2012
    i have been told by DOT and anyone who has inspected my truck, ANY CRACK, from top to bottom is a rejection of that brake, (i am not sure if its an OOS)

the thinking is that it can crack off at any time

9. dibstr

dibstr Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Mississippi
    Scalemaster, I believe part of the problem on the brake pad issue is that the vehicle received as the OP stated a "cit/warning", and I would think that most would believe 393.47 (a) (physical characteristics must provide safe and reliable stopping...) may be sufficiently broad to allow for some interpretation, but also for some common sense and discretion.

The perception is that the crack (s) did not meet the OOS criteria, and the FMCSR's do not mention cracks, so how can it be a violation if it is not in the regulations. It was cited/warned based on what? An opinion and a "catch all" rather than a factual provable violation of a regulation? Without a whole series of formal tests how can anyone say with any accuracy that this crack would affect safe and reliable stopping (Even if it failed) and if they can say it would then they should be capable of showing how much it affects the safe and reliable stopping.

Best regards

10. Scalemaster

Scalemaster Heavy Load Member

Mar 13, 2011
    Midwest
    Because 393.47 is not specific about what constitutes a defective brake, we have to go by the CVSA out of service criteria for specifics, see link for an older version below.

http://www.tn.gov/safety/CVE/NorthAmericanStandardOut-Of-ServiceCriteria.pdf

If it does not meet the out of service criteria, we do not even put it on the inspection as a violation around here.

I cannot tell from Kansas's pictures whether the crack in his lining:
    - exceeds 1/16 inch wide (pretty darn wide for a lining crack)
    - exceeded 1 1/2 inches in length

If it exceeds those measurements it is a violation, and it constitutes one defective brake. If not, I would not even list it on the inspection.

I looked at his SMS info, and could not find a violation pertaining to brake linings, so I could not look up and see how the officer worded the violation. No inspections found for "Madison,Il. I-55/I-70".

Last edited: Nov 30, 2012
  11. West coast trucker

West coast trucker Bobtail Member

Oct 12, 2012
    [​IMG]

While I dont think this should have been wrote up its probably a good thing you went ahead a changed the shoe because as close as the crack is to the shoe it self after running this winter the crack would have more than likely got worse.

The crap they treat the roads with for snow and ice in some states will get into the crack causing the shoe to form rust under the lining thus forcing it up and causing either a bigger crack or the pad becoming loose from the shoe.
    You can thank in part the Made in Mexico/Assembled in USA with the increase in truck component early failure now days.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.