Creepy roads. That freak you out.

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Intothesunset, Jun 2, 2019.

1. Intothesunset

Intothesunset Road Train Member

Apr 15, 2019
    truck
    That is one steep up hill and down hill grade.
    I'm guessing 8% or more of a grade.

tramm01 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. InTooDeep

InTooDeep Donner party survivor

Jan 17, 2016
    Carmichael CA
    Hwy 97 in Oregon got out to pee in the middle of the night middle of no where. Next thing I hear a stick snapping off the side of the road. Nope not able to pee now git back in the truck and drive on.

tramm01 and JoeyJunk Thank this.
  4. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    Hwy 395 from Lakeview Oregon to Burns. At night, with a cloud cover to block the moon and stars it's the darkest dark I've been in..

InTooDeep and tramm01 Thank this.
  5. tramm01

tramm01 Road Train Member

Sep 13, 2013
    Idaho
    Lots of spirits on that stretch

InTooDeep Thanks this.
  6. tramm01

tramm01 Road Train Member

Sep 13, 2013
    Idaho
    All the roads in ION (Idaho, Oregon Nevada) borderlands

InTooDeep Thanks this.
  7. TokyoJoe

TokyoJoe Road Train Member

Feb 10, 2015
    One time about 25 years ago I drove from my training at the Navy base north of Chicago to San Diego. I didn't want to pay for a hotel so I just kept stopping in truck stops buying sodas and those trucker pills along the way. Those pills that made the skin on your head crawl + about several gallons of soda meant that I had to stop every 2 or 3 hours to take a leak.

I didn't sleep a second and the drive took about 35 to 36 hours and over 2000 miles but by the time I got to Arizona I was feeling like I was on another planet. It looked that way outside too on I40, all the way through California on I8.

The creepy road was I8 out of Yuma going toward El Centro. What was creepy was that I was so tweaked out and totally drained at the same time that I was seeing things that weren't there. Usually out of the corner of my eyes and it was after midnight and pitch black. I was the only one on the road except for the occasional trucker with spaceship looking lights that would blaze past me at over 100Mph like I was sitting still.

Then there was the light that wouldn't go away and didn't seem to ever catch up that was following me from the desert not on the road. Combined with listening to Art Bell at 3AM and this new bright light behind me to the side that did not go away I was losing my mind. This light was following me and it was freaking me out also the noise was getting closer and louder. It sounded like a a horde of trucks behind me but just one bright light. But it wasn't actually on the road. I was thinking that something was coming up behind me to get me but I couldn't do anything about it. Almost like a nightmare but I never went to sleep. I was driving an old Isuzu Imark Diesel 4 banger that maxed out at 80mph so I couldn't drive away from it.

Eventually either by slowing down or by it finally catching up to me after about an hour of following me I realized when it passed that it was a really crazy loud train but the light and the noise really freaked me out for a long time like a horror movie in real life lol.

8. striker

striker Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Denver, Co
    Not 212, but US 59 from Gillette, Wyo to Miles City, Mt., I've done that a few times in the middle of the night, no thanks.

Intothesunset Thanks this.
  9. striker

Aug 8, 2009
    Denver, Co
    Yep, ran that a few times, even worse is the US 189/US 191/US 89 Rock Springs to Hoback Jct to Idaho Falls. I've done it a coupe of times in the middle of the night, Hoback Canyon is sketchy in the daylight, in the dark, I'm pretty sure those trees were moving.

Intothesunset Thanks this.
  10. striker

Aug 8, 2009
    Denver, Co
    US 287 from Rawlins to Riverton, ran that in the middle of the night once, outside temp gauge said -28, I needed to tap a kidney, I peed ice cube on from the side step, 2 am, not a soul around, it was very cold and very eerie.

Intothesunset and Cattleman84 Thank this.
  11. striker

Aug 8, 2009
    Denver, Co
    I love US 550, million dollar highway, if you really want to have fun, run it at night, full chains (including drags) in a snowstorm. If there's a problem, the only way they'll know is when your company reports you overdue. I posted this several years back during a run over 550, this was in the middle of the day.
    US 550, during a snowstorm

86scotty, tarmadilo and Intothesunset Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.