Crete Carrier - A Year In Review - Fall 2013 Going Forward

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by The_Irishman, Nov 8, 2013.

1. tucker

tucker Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2008
    IN
    Took it easy today, ran 425 miles and stopped in Amarillo about 13:00, heading to flagstaff tomorrow and Hesperia for Wednesday night. Beats sitting at a dock.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. xlsdraw

xlsdraw Road Train Member

Nov 17, 2010
    Winter Haven, Florida
    Knocked out the miles on this FCFS 950 mile/804 paid miles load with half my 2nd day clock left. Of course Consignee says "FCFS, uh No! Try 06:30 live offload Tomorrow!" So another 7:30 on the 14 an05:30 of available drivetime wasted. The miles differential primarily due to having to detour to my Terminal to pickup permits that they said via qualcomm would be mailed but weren't. 100% unpaid miles. Been having a lot to rant about lately.

tucker Thanks this.
  4. stungjoe

stungjoe Road Train Member

Jun 14, 2011
    Yet to be determined.
    After my freezing experience in Minnesota I went and bought me a nice Carhartt jacket today. Darn those things are expensive! There was a Gander Mountain next door so I made the mistake of going in to look for the CCW I've been wanting. I wished I hadn't! They had it in stock; Glock36. Man oh man was I glad the sales dude was way on the other end of the massive gun counter. I escaped with out my hide-em but I did keep my $619:yes2557:

5. FlexinTarzan

FlexinTarzan Medium Load Member

Jan 8, 2012
    Stanfield, OR
    I have had my Walls Blizzard Proof jacket & bib-coveralls for several years now and I am impressed with the warmth, was all suited up last week putting chains on at 0430, snow was about a foot in -13 degree weather, just to get out of the Pilot truck stop.....

stungjoe Thanks this.
  6. Onadetour

Onadetour Medium Load Member

Feb 3, 2012
    Bay and Creek
    Any hints on keeping the windshield from icing up? Tried defrost on high, tried floor heat only, didn't have much success either way. Ended up destroying the drivers side wiper trying to get the chunks of ice off. I did find a nice little Kwik Trip/Super Shell off I39 at Plover WI.

7. xlsdraw

Nov 17, 2010
    Winter Haven, Florida
    I haven't figured out the icy window solution yet either. Perhaps a colder rated wiper fluid might help if we can find some.

Onadetour Thanks this.
  8. xlsdraw

Nov 17, 2010
    Winter Haven, Florida
    Come to think of it, I have my wife along this trip and she brought a blow dryer.....hmmm....

9. tucker

tucker Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2008
    IN
    I keep a good coat of Rain X on and wear a heavy sweatshirt and sock cap. I keep the heat off and crack the passenger window. Most time I never need the wiper, but if the road spray freezes up the wiper, I reach out and grab the wiper blade. Seems the passenger side never freezes up.

Onadetour and xlsdraw Thank this.
  10. FlexinTarzan

FlexinTarzan Medium Load Member

Jan 8, 2012
    Stanfield, OR
    Dump 8-12 oz of rubbing alcohol into the washer fluid reservoir, the freeze point is -100 for rubbing alcohol.

tucker and Onadetour Thank this.
  11. supersnackbar

supersnackbar Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2007
    Your Town, USA
    I actually used 1 bottle of alcohol per gallon of washerfluid...then mixed a heavy saltwater solution in the alcohol bottle with a small hole in the cap just before this last trip across WY. I still had some freezing on the blade and the top corner of the windshield still collected ice...but in between wind gusts, I would open the window and squirt warm salt water as far as I could on the windshield. It seemed to help some...these aero body styles suck for windshield cleaning. The reason the passenger side doesn't freeze as bad is because the wiper isn't getting to the curved part of the windshield. These trucks need wipers like on the Greyhound bus. Built with some sort of lever mechinism that causes the wiper to stay totally vertical. I've even tried the expensive 1 piece bar type wiper...it was some better in the wind, but the K/C shop took it off and put on another of the company's cheap winter blades with the condom on it. Didn't matter to me, they paid for the $25 blade a month before he did it and a month later...I left for greener pastures

Last edited: Jan 15, 2014
    tucker Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.