Crete Carrier Corporation - Lincoln, Ne.

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by DeadManWalking, Mar 7, 2006.

1. jdrentzjr

jdrentzjr Road Train Member

Nov 29, 2007
    All over the USA
    I've been in this industry for 25+ yrs and can vouch there have been many changes, with more to come, that have made OTR more of a job than it used to be. That being said, I still have the freedom to take breaks when and whereI want, unless I'm at a shipper or recievr (this can be a pain but is another story for another thread). Can you do this working at an office, a warehouse, or some other 9-5 job?

The trade offs of little time at home, sometimes working for free (although it is argued these unpaid job duties are part of our mileage pay), or any other complaints we may have are an inherent part of this industry, and one needs to consider these short-comings BEFORE becoming an OTR driver.

As an O/O here at Crete for 5 yrs I've driven 133k-150k miles per year. Check for yourself at http://www.thetruckersreport.com/tr...erator/64679-my-numbers-o-o-leased-crete.html . I've concluded that a drivers miles at Crete will depend on their motivation. I'm very motivated and will do whatever I need to too increase my productivity. On the other hand we have drivers such as OFTOTR that will only work according to their schedule. Nothing wrong with what OFTOTR is doing, afterall it leaves more miles for me :biggrin_25519:. The problem is that OFTOTR gripes and complains like it"s someone eles fault he is not getting any miles. The truth is there are plenty of miles to be had if you are willing to hustle, or you can take it easy and get what you get.

As for maintainance issues OFTOTR has told only part of the story. It is true the company shops are over-worked and it sometimes takes several days to get service. What he didn't tell you is that Crete has implemented a new program to allow for maintainance to be done at TA/Petro shops so that drivers can maximize production. If a driver chooses not to use this program to his/her advantage is that Crete's fault?

KingOfHibernia and sweetdaddy915 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. supersnackbar

supersnackbar Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2007
    Your Town, USA
    In some way I agree...and others I don't. Some months I run all my logbook can handle, other months(like this one) I can't seem to get on a roll, or am just not in the right place at the right time...or....like the other part of the message - truck repairs, or lack-there-of. Sat 2 days in Marietta for alignment(and other stuff) only thing that got done, new steer tires and orders to get to another shop because their machine died, and they didn't want to spend any money on going to an outside shop...they would rather take the chance on ruining another set of steers trusting that dispatch would take their head out of their butts and comply with the order for repair and route me through another shop -which was like pulling hen's teeth- which forced me to get my terminal manager involved... As far as their new usage of Petro/TA shops....bravo Crete!!! I've used it, was in and out for a T1 in 30 min, and got points on my points card and a free shower. But that deal with the truckstops is only for service or emergency repairs, if you need other repairs you get to sit at a company shop...the only positive, company drivers get a little pay after 12 hours.

4. OFTOTR

OFTOTR Medium Load Member

Jul 19, 2011
    Toccoa GA
    That's total BS that it's my fault I'm not getting any miles.
    I'm not one of these guys who says 'I'm sleeping at the same time every night' and is parked in a truck stop no matter what by dark. I have not turned down a load here I could run legally. If the load sucks I ask for miles, and for other options.

I'll be happy to start taking pictures of the qualcom messages when I BEG for decent miles, and the planner replies 'this is all we have', usually in reference to a 300 mile load over 2-3 days. I can post them here.

I've been an owner operator, and comparing company drivers to what owner operators experience, or vise versa, doesn't usually work.

5. BIF MALIBU

BIF MALIBU Heavy Load Member

May 21, 2010
    lake cushman wa
    i think oftr and jdentzr are both right.
    after the newness wears off it is what it is.
    there is plenty of ata and recruiter publications
    i like to hear the other side like oftr says
    i like to call in when im empty and loaded and work
    but some people are politicians who work the phones and leave you out on the ice
    oftr should be on the bad company side maybe

sweetdaddy915 Thanks this.
  6. Big_Al

Big_Al Medium Load Member

Oct 30, 2008
    Out of my mind
    One of the reasons that I left Crete/Shaffer is that everything is done by the bean counters. They don't give a #### if you make any money or not. The bottom line is all they care about. They do not care if it inconveniences you, screws you over, or drives you to the poor house. That idiot Ostergaard came up with some moronic idea every month to save money while breaking it off in the driver's ###. Fuel solutions, 62 mph trucks, cutting back the RPM's on ninth gear, regional dispatch, computerized load planning, cutting shop staff when they were already backed up.. It was always some #########. He has ruined a once great company.

1catfish Thanks this.
  7. TYRHONDAMD00

TYRHONDAMD00 Bobtail Member

Sep 22, 2011
    Just finished orientation with Crete on 9/21/2011. I went on line, I did an on line application with for Crete, not Shaffer. When I get to Marietta for physical & drug screen all of a sudden I'm with Shaffer. I say no, I filled out a Crete application not a Shaffer application. I thought the matter had been taken care of. I get to Knoxville they have A Shaffer hat sitting with my orientation packet. I say no, I'm with Crete not Shaffer. I call the recruter and explain the mix up. He says okay, I'll fix it. I go through orientation, I get my truck assignment guess what, It's a Shaffer truck. I am now now at the house. Crete is dry van division Shaffer is Reffer division. If I wanted to drive for Shaffer I would have filled out a Shaffer application. Now I'm waiting to see what they are going to do.

8. hebdog

hebdog Bobtail Member

Apr 12, 2011
    Fort Worth, TX
    Your truck doesnt matter. What you drag does. They assign Shaffer trucks to Crete guys all the time. If that is what they have to give you that is what you get.

9. trickshot

trickshot Bobtail Member

Aug 31, 2007
    Ochlocknee, GA
    That is correct red truck, blue truck doesn't matter. I have a red one now but the last one was blue. The first one was red. About the shop, you have heard that you get what you pay for, those poor guys don't make what they should. Shop managers get good money but workers get shafted. Were I in their place, I would not be too eager to bust my butt.

Crete dispatch will never improve as long as they work under the current system. The computer picks closest truck to load regardless of miles or time involved. There is no responsibility on dispatch for miles or home time as would be if you had a personal dispatcher. They don't make enough money either, but they have no job responsibility other than to show up for work. There is nothing to be held accountable for.
    And yes since the coming of Ostergard, the bean counters rule.
    The devil with you and whether or not you can support your family.
    The most bang for the buck for the company and screw you.

PS: I was an o/o for 7 years leased to Arnold Transportation out of Jacksonville. Gave it up when fuel got to 3.00 a gallon. Sold it a year later. Approaching retirement, so wanted a decent company job for a few years. Had one, then the old man retired and left son-in-law in charge.
    Trying hard to hold on till 100% vested in profit sharing, then "so long".

Have a great day and Best of luck to everyone....Hang in there
    Bad as it is now, it was once the best.:biggrin_25519:

10. wheelwatcher

wheelwatcher Light Load Member

Jun 9, 2011
    St Paul, MN
    That is hilarious, not for you I'm sure. But it's funny to read. That would only happen to a driver. No one has ever applied to work at Taco Bell then went to orientation and they say "Oh, actually you're gonna work for KFC". That's a good analogy because KFC and TB are owned by the same company.

11. wheelwatcher

wheelwatcher Light Load Member

Jun 9, 2011
    St Paul, MN
    I've been researching companies. Factor in that Crete pays practical miles and pays pretty good per mile too. I see Crete equipment around the Twin Cities and it looks good clean and modern. Benefits plan is a little less than what I would pay where I'm at now.

Crete seems like a pretty good option! If I can't get hired with them now I might try in the future!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.