Crete carrier shaffer trucking 2021 otr job pay & review

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by Sylentlight, Mar 18, 2021.

1. VA CDL Holder

VA CDL Holder Medium Load Member

Jun 14, 2011
    I'm just showing, for reference purposes, what a driver with with "some" experience can make at one of the mega carriers. In my case, I have 39 months of experience, on and off, since 2013. There is nothing to hide when it comes to what company drivers make in my mind. So some drivers might make 5 cents more per mile than me, some might make less, at the end of the day it equates to a coffee at the truck stop.
    When I went solo in 2013 doing dry van for Swift, I was at 27 CPM if I recall correctly.

Now if I could just get a DM to come clean and post their pay stubs, I would be impressed!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    Ahhhh. I see. I don't think it's so much about cpm myself. The freight speaks for itself. You and OP work(ed) for carriers that go all 48 and have the firepower to run drivers.

4. Peterbilts

Peterbilts Bobtail Member

Jul 27, 2021
    Illinois
    live unloads, is that where the customer unloads you or you have to unload the van? If you don’t mind me asking, what’s your net per week? I’m looking into hauling for shaffer

5. supersnackbar

supersnackbar Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2007
    Your Town, USA
    Live load/unload is where you stay hooked to your trailer at a dock while you wait for them to load/unload as opposed to drop/hook where you drop one trailer and you hook to another and leave, then they load/unload the trailer you dropped off at their convenience. Right now it's pot luck which is quicker because we are having an equipment shortage because of lots of business and a lot of customers having either no space to unload our drop trailers or people to unload. The last 2 weeks I have blown several hours each load hunting for an empty after dropping a load at a customer and they don't have an empty to hook to. This last weekend I dropped in Carthage MO on Friday and finally got bobtailed to Bentonville, AR to pick up an empty Saturday afternoon. Honestly, I have asked to have my truck married to a good trailer, and then do all live load/unload loads just to save time and trouble... This equipment shortage doesn't stop them from pulling older trailers off the road though. I have seen a bunch of the older trailers parked and unstickered...makes no sense to me, but, we're only drivers...what do we know.

Lonesome Thanks this.
  6. Peterbilts

Jul 27, 2021
    Illinois
    thanks for replying! And I agree us being truckers we don’t see what they can’t and we don’t know anything. They know best. How many miles are you averaging and what’s take home look like? I’ve been looking into doing their reefers and have seen some of your other comments on your thread about going back to them.

7. supersnackbar

Aug 19, 2007
    Your Town, USA
    With last weeks check I have grossed just under $80k (and most of the year was spent making $.06/mile less than what we are now). By my 1 yr anniversary in October, I had 129,700 paid miles.

8. Peterbilts

Jul 27, 2021
    Illinois
    That’s not bad. Overall are you happy with going back? This will be my first OTR gig and I’m just trying to narrow it down from a couple other choices

9. supersnackbar

Aug 19, 2007
    Your Town, USA
    Happy you say? With the company, mostly.

With the equipment, the jury is still out. I manage to luck out and get a manual 2020, and it went in the shop 3 weeks after I was assigned to it for a leaking problem with the DEF (plugged filter cause it to blow the filter cover loose and blow a tank of DEF out in 200 miles)...and the latest upgrade to the Peoplenet makes it think I am about to roll over on certain straight rough roads. Plus after they turned it up to 68 on the cruise, now the forward facing radar nanny #####es at me anytime there is someone within 275' of the front of the front of my truck no matter how much faster they're going than me...and it now decides to slam on the brakes for road signs, guardrails and imaginary/invisible objects in the road.

As for my dispatcher (Asset Manager), he has gotten to the place where I wouldn't waste a bullet on him...pretty much a useless piece of meat taking up an office cubicle

10. Peterbilts

Jul 27, 2021
    Illinois
    So overall you wouldn’t change a #### thing huh? Haha thanks that helps me clear up what a recruiter was telling me. Are the AMs responsive but just don’t know #### or they just don’t get back with you in a timely manner? I’ve read and heard that your dispatch makes or breaks you when it comes to loads. And I prefer manual. I’ve heard nothing but terrible things about autos especially when hauling tanks like I do. And same goes for people net

Speed_Drums Thanks this.
  11. drvrtech77

drvrtech77 Road Train Member

Mar 20, 2010
    Asset managers can be a toss up..but the planners are who send you the preplan because I’ve had preplans sent that asset manager didn’t know about…the autos like anything can be a toss up but from experience in 6yrs of operating them I’ve never been in the shop for any issues regarding them directly whatsoever..like anything can be toss up as 2 pieces of equipment can be totally different

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.