Curious about LTL Truck driving.

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by Caliberdb, Nov 23, 2018.

1. Caliberdb

Caliberdb Bobtail Member

Nov 23, 2018
    I am currently working for a building materials company delivering mostly sheet rock and wall studs to construction sites. I do not have my CDL yet, though I'm going to school for it and will be taking the state exam here in a couple of weeks. As part of school, I was assigned to write a research paper on a part of the truck driving industry so this is mostly for that. I do not plan on leaving my job anytime soon even after getting my CDL. (as its a great company and pays well with good benefits)
    But, delivering and stocking sheet rock is very hard work and rough on the body, so I know I can't do it forever. So I am actually curious about eventually getting into LTL Truck driving, as I heard LTL jobs tend to be local in town with good home time.
    Things I need to know:
    What are some good companies to work for as a LTL driver?
    What type of stuff would I be expected to do as part of the job?
    What are LTL working conditions typically like?
    What kind of experience would I need to get into a LTL job and would flat bed/boom truck experience be enough?
    What steps can I take to prepare myself for a good LTL job?
    If it matters I live in New Mexico, I might be willing to eventually move out of state if its for a good enough job.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    We'll move this to the LTL section. You might get better answers from the guys who are actually doing it.

road_runner, MACK E-6 and Caliberdb Thank this.
  4. jgarciajr40

jgarciajr40 Medium Load Member

Jun 18, 2016
    What are some good companies to work for as a LTL driver?

All major players. Typically they've all been around since the 70s.
    ______
    What type of stuff would I be expected to do as part of the job?

Drive against traffic. Dock in areas not meant for semi-trucks. Back against on coming traffic.
    ____
    What are LTL working conditions typically like?

Varies by climate your either in the truck, or in the trailer
    _____
    What kind of experience would I need to get into a LTL job and would flat bed/boom truck experience be enough?

Typically just driving experience in general is that they look for. Flatbed experience may not be useful as flatbeds don't typically back.
    _____
    What steps can I take to prepare myself for a good LTL job?

Practice backing in difficult areas, but there's really nothing that can prepare you other than experience. Gotta love blind backing against oncoming traffic

road_runner, Mike2633 and Caliberdb Thank this.
  5. Ian2175

Ian2175 Bobtail Member

Dec 26, 2017
    If you are interested in LTL make the move sooner rather than later. It is all about seniority.

6. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    It’s work, but nothing like what you’re currently dealing with. It pays a hell of a lot better too. You’ll need the doubles, hazmat, and tank endorsement.

My outfit has a terminal in Albuquerque if you’re near there.

road_runner and Caliberdb Thank this.
  7. Razorwyr

Razorwyr Road Train Member

Jul 27, 2010
    Meridian, Mississippi
    You're joking, right? Flatbedders definitely back and into crazier places than you could ever imagine. Most flatbeds are spread axles and we don't like to tear up our tires so we don't like to back when we don't have to, but we definitely back, especially at job sites with obstacles. I can honestly say, I've never heard of anyone outside of open deck back for more than a quarter mile, something I've had to do on several occasions because there is no where to turn around closer and they wanted to unload it from the back.

8. Fuelinmyveins

Fuelinmyveins Medium Load Member

Nov 13, 2017
    PA

This x1000. As a City driver you will be working on days. Linehaul guys start out on vampire shift and it takes few years before they can bid for a day run. Not sure how it works at other ltl companies, but at FXF if let say you are a city driver for 5 years and then want to switch to linehaul, your seniority goes back to 0. You're pretty much starting at the bottom again.

9. Caliberdb

Caliberdb Bobtail Member

Nov 23, 2018
    Just curious, what company is that?

10. Caliberdb

Caliberdb Bobtail Member

Nov 23, 2018
    Hey I'm still pretty new to all of this, what is linehaul, and are they also local, and whats the difference from them and LTL?

11. jgarciajr40

jgarciajr40 Medium Load Member

Jun 18, 2016
    Linehaul are just the guys that typically drive at night from one major city to the next.

Think of city drivers as your local mail man, and line haul drivers as your airplane carriers. The line haul guys get the items across the country and the city drivers get it to your door

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.