Danny Herman

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Michelle33, Apr 7, 2024.

1. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    Those "squishy" ear plugs saved my arse. Chamomile tea works too for sleeping. Remember, we're just the peanut gallery, you're the one who is awesome. We need you, and if it's any consolation, you'll probably never get a good rest. It's why I take so many naps in my retirement, I missed a lot of sleep before regulations took care of that. I remember, strictly forbidden now, but I could run all day, and all night, dawn was the worst, but a short nap, and the rest of that next day, with no "help", (drugs) except cb radio, but couldn't make the next night without some real sleep.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. lual

lual Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2020
    SW Georgia
    The learning curve (for new drivers) is not as steep with dry van trailers -- as it is with other types of class A freight.

So I personally think you've made a wise choice there.

With that said -- I found the following video rather helpful, with learning how to back up a big rig:

What's REEEEAL-LY COOL about this video: watch how the instructor gets out, & does a "look around"....JUST BEFORE the trailer goes "into the hole".

If you are about to make a backing mistake -- this is arguably the BEST TIME to see it, catch it....& fix it.

Note also how he goes into "the hole"...& looks back at the trailer -- to see how the trailer is doing relative to the rigs on either side (I still do this -- even to this day).

Your odds of hitting something go WAAAAAY DOWN -- IF you consistently "get out & look".....as demonstrated here.

-- L

Last edited: Apr 18, 2024
    201 and Michelle33 Thank this.
  4. Michelle33

Michelle33 Bobtail Member

Feb 19, 2024
    West Texas
    I'll be able to do this one day.. hopefully lol. I see people doing it at the truck stops and WOW!! They make it look so simple- but I struggle with it so much- Hopefully with more confidence and experience, I'll be able to do it too.

5. Moosetek13

Moosetek13 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    Experience brings confidence, not the other way around.
    On the other hand, too much confidence brings complacency and you start to make rookie mistakes.

When I first started trucking I was told that the most accidents occur with rookies because they are new, and with more experienced drivers at around 5 years because they are too confident and get complacent.

Michelle33 and lual Thank this.
  6. JC1971

JC1971 Road Train Member

Jul 29, 2013
    L.A.
    Isn't the megacarrier truck company motto usually "It's better to receive than give"?

7. lual

lual Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2020
    SW Georgia
    The good news here....is that you're with a carrier that actually gives you enough time out with a trainer -- to get some real practice....& coaching....from said trainer.

Everybody does not get that opportunity.

-- L

Michelle33 Thanks this.
  8. Kolorado

Kolorado Medium Load Member

Feb 28, 2015
    Colorado/Texas
    GL i've been here 3 years and im about to bail cant stand it no more

9. Michelle33

Michelle33 Bobtail Member

Feb 19, 2024
    West Texas
    Oh no! I'm sorry to hear that. I love everything about this company so far- I've had some bumps in the road, things that were out of my control- but I feel comfortable with how this company values safety so far. I'm just excited to see what the future has in store for me here.

I hope the very best for you in your career- and that you find a better fit for yourself. :)

201 and bryan21384 Thank this.
  10. snicrep

snicrep Medium Load Member

May 13, 2009
    mcallen, tx
    Stick with it. Don't let others bad experiences effect yours. When you ditch your trainer, you can run what's most comfortable for you

Vic Firth, bryan21384 and Michelle33 Thank this.
  11. Kolorado

Kolorado Medium Load Member

Feb 28, 2015
    Colorado/Texas
    Dont get me wrong i would recommend starting here over a mega swift,werner, etc.
    But capped at 50 cpm and no detention pay

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.