Dash cam clip shows how fast black ice can ruin your day

Discussion in 'Trucking Accidents' started by lovesthedrive, Nov 12, 2019.

1. Bud A.

Bud A. Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Mountain Time
    Legend has it she's still stuck there in the snow bank.....

D.Tibbitt and truckdriver31 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. jamespmack

jamespmack Road Train Member

Mar 25, 2014
    OH
    That guy was a ##### Moron.

mjd4277, Bean Jr., D.Tibbitt and 5 others Thank this.
  4. FerrissWheel

FerrissWheel Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2015
    NV
    Ahh good ole lake effect. Ill take that lane

5. truckdriver31

truckdriver31 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2013
    love riding with the window down. smell that cold air

FerrissWheel and x1Heavy Thank this.
  6. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    Well, thanks to that doofus, we all know what a major jack knife looks like. That's never happened to me. And that's another thing, black ice, where did that stupid term come from. Ice is ice and should be tackled in low range, if at all. Only fools run on ice..

7. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak

LMOA, Some of us fools have no choice, for the next few months. lol We will eventually have better ice though.

A few years ago one of my oo's and I had some new east walking floor trailers, we were delivering to the seattle area. Going through iowa there was a storm and we were passing vehicles in the dtch and medium for several miles. All of a sudden my oo, who was an experienced older driver, even with a lot of driving back and forth to Alaska started swapping ends. He had left his cruise on for some ungodly reason, and I had to slow which put me to moving around much more than I am comfortable with. All I could see at that moment was 300,000 dollars worth of totaled trailers, but we were both able to get them lined back out.

Bean Jr., D.Tibbitt, 201 and 3 others Thank this.
  8. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    One time on 95 in Virginia near Doswell of all places a herd of us intent on Florida or bust took over all lanes. Hammered it collectively. Some of us started lagging out at 90, a few raced ahead in excess of 130. The rest of us sort of flowed along at 115-125 depending on if its downhill or not.

Here comes grandpa out of Doswell off the merge lane past the bridge.

Around that SOB was a lake of water. We checked our times fast and saw that it's 910 am and knew it was frosty that morning. We all hit that big water and found no splash. Ice.

We got out of there ok. Big deal. HA nothing to it at all.

I get to Ashland 76 sit down and ordered a proper breakfast.

By the time I lit my smoke the coffee cup splashed all over the table as my hand shook really badly when I remembered there was no steering what so ever lock to lock, spinning freely. And she started drifting following the gravity of the slope downhill towards that old man at speeds that were just no point in talking about. It will come out one way and violently.

All of my tires came back with traction as I passed that old man praying to any God awake that late in the morning not to kill the SOB.

I don't know what the other 20 trucks had to do and to this day I could not tell you.

They called a house doctor and he put a iv into my arm along with the breakfast and gave me a small shot, told me I wont be driving today but those nerves will settle down nicely. Whatever that medicine was in those days. Everything worked out.

He told me if I have that again I must go to the hospital. Any one will do and have them check it for permanent damage to the nervous system in that part of the body.

This was long before the internet, long before cell phones and long before there was the law enforcement we have today. Im just happy I did not hit grandpa. But I seriously hate how that ice took over and did what physics would do with that whole truck. Im just along for the smash.

9. MGE Dawn

MGE Dawn Road Train Member

May 19, 2019
    Vancouver, WA
    Sometimes, the only winning move is not to to play. Those road conditions are one of those times

FerrissWheel and Knucklehead619 Thank this.
  10. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    I know, I talk, but I've done my share of "Ice Road Trucking". This person, hammer down, empty, probably did have the cruise on, broke traction, that's all it takes. Anyone with any sense, A) wouldn't be going that fast, ESPECIALLY with the cruise on B) a 4 wheeler in the ditch is automatic back out of it, on the phone maybe, people just aren't connected to driving, for whatever reason. It's got to be the trucks. The cushiness gives a false sense of security. The old Mack with spring ride and bias-ply 10x20's, was a handful and you were constantly on guard in case it broke traction. Now on to the "pileup" thread.

11. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    Im glad somebody finally said it lol

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.