Dealing with pissed off 4 wheeler drivers

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by BrandonCDLdriver, Sep 22, 2017.

1. BrandonCDLdriver

BrandonCDLdriver Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2017
    It seems that no matter what I do, at least once every trip or two, I piss off a 4 wheeler.

On this past trip there was an onramp and this 4 wheeler wanted to come on so I moved into the left lane to give them room. After they safely entered the lane, I put my blinker on to move back to the right. In the time it took me to look at them, put on the blinker, check ahead of me and to the sides of the rig, they had mashed the gas and so when I started moving to the right they got up right behind me. I move to the right and turn off my blinker. Then they speed around me on left side laying on the horn the entire time.

Why do people do stuff like that? Do they realize I moved over for THEM, and that I am not required to do so? I was being nice, next time I'll just run their azses onto the shoulder when they can't get on.

I had one guy ignore my blinker when I wanted to change lanes to make an exit. He had an empty lane next to him that would take him in the same direction on the exit that he was going. I didn't, I was going to miss my exit. I put my blinker on, it blinked at least 10 times and he just sat there. Well I started to "nudge" my rig over to see if he'd move. He immediately flipped me the bird and layed on the horn.

What ### holes.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 24, 2017
    LWT104, fargonaz, JReding and 3 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. bzinger

bzinger Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2014
    omaha , ne
    I don't move over much anymore for idiots in cars that think I should get out of they're way because they don't have brains enough to merge into traffic ...they have the yield sign not me .

4. Ristow

Ristow Road Train Member

Jun 28, 2014
    Fema Region 5
    i rarely move over for cars. they just drive alongside you.

Broke Down 69, 12 ga, tscottme and 4 others Thank this.
  5. BrandonCDLdriver

BrandonCDLdriver Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2017
    Yep. I had a critical event report because a 4 wheeler didn't merge onto the interstate even when I flashed my lights and my ACC gave them 375 feet of room to do so. They slow down instead of speed up and all of a sudden come flying over into my lane right even with my passenger door. I lay on the brakes and the horn and the qualcomm reported a critical event. The safety guy calls me and says that the video showed that I should have changed lanes or slowed down even more. I told him there were cars behind me and to the side that you can't see and that I told the car to come by flashing my lights. He didn't write me up and said in court he would have argued that the 4 wheeler had time to get on, but that I "could have done better."

That pissed me off, I was told in CDL school to maintain lane and speed, that you have the right of way, not them. And I even slowed down a bit for the stupid 4 wheeler and what did they do, slowed down even more. And acted like crossing the white line for the lane merge would mean their car would fall off the planet.

6. bzinger

bzinger Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2014
    omaha , ne
    I do make exceptions for the elderly tho .

7. Ristow

Ristow Road Train Member

Jun 28, 2014
    Fema Region 5
    quit trying to hold their hand. they got a gas pedal and a brake pedal. if they can't look over to see what to do to merge as they come down the ramp,they can ride the brake pedal and get in behind me. im usually doing 60-63,so they have no reason not to be able to get on in front of me.

Woodys, slow.rider, tscottme and 5 others Thank this.
  8. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    Your safety guy is an idiot. Not sure you should be working for him, as he's going to get you in a wreck with bad policies.

And I'm of the camp of not getting over also. Too many cars and trucks either hang you out in the left lane, or act in some other equally stupid way.
    At least if you maintain the lane and they hit you it's their fault.

9. RoadRooster

RoadRooster Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Fort Myers, Florida
    The guy on the ramp always has the yield sign... changing lanes is dangerous... I drive with that in mind.

10. HotH2o

HotH2o Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2012
    Bunyan Springs, Colorado
    I don't move over for 4 wheelers. I will move over for other trucks if safe to do so. What pisses me off are the idiots on 4 wheels who merge onto the freeway at 35mph then accelerate once they've merged. Flipping idiots.

What also pisses me off but has nothing to do with other drivers are metered on ramps. I get it when there is heavy traffic but when traffic is flowing what is the point of bringing an 80K lb vehicle to a complete stop 200 feet from the freeway? More idiots behind that decision.

slow.rider, LWT104, magoo68 and 8 others Thank this.
  11. shogun

shogun Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2009
    Doing a regen
    The reason is everyone for the most part is self absorbed and think they are important. You are being courteous while they worry only about themselves. You have the right of way, it's up to them to merge safely. This happens to me all the time and I just laugh when they flip me off and speed away, burying their face back in their phones. Most people don't look to see what's there until the last second anyways.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.