DeanOfMac's Journey

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by DeanOfMac, Jan 11, 2020.

1. DeanOfMac

DeanOfMac Bobtail Member

Jan 11, 2020
    Macomb, IL
    Week #3 of 8 finished! Almost halfway there. Lots of backing drills. Road time was a little limited due to road conditions but we got some miles in. Two more weeks of classroom twice a week and then we drive all week thru week eight. We should get 200 hours behind the wheel. We are lucky our class size is small.

The job prospects are looking good. My driving instructor is retired from the road but still dispatches for a carrier. Next week the regional carriers come in and we'll start filling out applications. Schneider and a few other megas will be coming in later.

I'm starting to get clutch knee. I've been using Icy Hot and elevating when I can. For me it's Veterans Knees. After being a grunt and road marching with a M60 other veterans will understand.

When the lead instructor told us that a previous class took trips to Washington State we got excited.

Coffey Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. DeanOfMac

DeanOfMac Bobtail Member

Jan 11, 2020
    Macomb, IL
    Week #4 finished! Four weeks to go. I'll test for my CDL in 3 weeks and have the last week of class for a retake (if needed) and get some more time behind the wheel.

I finally got the double-clutch downshift figured out. It took awhile for the old brain and legs to coordinate. I've really enjoyed driving the highways and using the county roads as a place to practice shifting. We were snowed-out yesterday. The weather got bad quick so the instructor drove us home. The off-ramps were in really bad shape.

Three regionals have given us their sales pitch so far: Sharkey, Thompson, Inc., and a Allied Van Lines affiliate. Soon we will hear from Schneider National, Maverick, Dot Foods Transportation, Gully, and JB Hunt. Still more regional carriers will be appearing soon.

Today I did the background check and fingerprints for HazMat and did the same for the TWIC card.

Coffey and Lonesome Thank this.
  4. DeanOfMac

DeanOfMac Bobtail Member

Jan 11, 2020
    Macomb, IL
    Week #5 of 8 complete! Almost there...

Short week this week. We usually end our week on Thursdays but Mother Nature had other plans. Currently it's a whopping 4 outside with an expected low of -5. Ice and blowing snow contributed to our early shutdown. It was my day to bring the donuts ("do-nots") so I took the donuts to the police station.

Lots of city driving this week. They took us to downtown Quincy IL to make sharp right turns on narrow streets as a confidence booster. That was fun. Not sure if some of the four wheelers enjoyed our fun. We also drove a section of the DMV course. Lots of tight right turns, uphill starts, and track crossings.

No major hiccups this week other than getting confused with offset backing. I had it down when driving with an instructor but lost it after breaking for lunch. I got better after some of the cones behind me were removed. Nothing like a sea of orange cones in your convex mirror! I couldn't tell which ones were mine.

I should take my first stab at the license test the Monday after next.

5. DeanOfMac

DeanOfMac Bobtail Member

Jan 11, 2020
    Macomb, IL
    Week #6 of 8 complete! Almost to the finish line. If I get over my frustration with offset backing. It looks so simple, but to me it's difficult.

This week was the last week with classroom. Three recruiters came in and gave their spiel. Gully Transportation, Dot Foods, and LSSD were here. LSSD is a hauler in Pittsfield, IL who has transfer contracts with Dot Foods and hauls cattle to Kansas City. I didn't form an opinion of any of them yet, as I was dealing with stress caused by losing what gear I'm in if a conversation pops up while driving and dealing with offsets. I am doing better with downshifting. I just have to remember what high gear I'm in.

Next Monday is a range day for me. Half the class will be on the road and half will be on the range. I need to brush upon offsets and spend a good portion of the day on parallel parking. Tuesday is a road day. I'm supposed to test for my CDL Wednesday, but I might put it off until Friday. I'm having a very hard time spotting the middle cone in the convex mirror on the right side (passenger) offset. Other than that I think I'm ready.

Coffey, Odin's Rabid Dog and Lonesome Thank this.
  6. Odin's Rabid Dog

Odin's Rabid Dog Heavy Load Member

May 6, 2018
    NW MT
    Good writeup! Keep them coming.

7. DeanOfMac

DeanOfMac Bobtail Member

Jan 11, 2020
    Macomb, IL
    Well this is week #8 of 8! Almost to the finish line! Apologies for no Week #7 update. I conquered my troubles with offsets and worked on my troubles with blind side parallel. We also have to take a final test at the school which is more comprehensive than the state CDL test.

I go for my CDL tomorrow morning, Tuesday March 3rd. I think I've got it licked, so long as they don't switch trucks on me... There is an 84% first time fail rate in Illinois. I want to be in the 16% who pass the first time. I saw two classmates fail the pre-trip. Bummer. We only have an hour, so odds are that I can get the pre-trip and skills test done the first day. I may have to come back next week to take the on the road part. That would give my veteran's knees a chance to rest - the double clutching and getting in and out of the cab for days on end is taking a toll.

Wish me luck! I just hope I can relax enough to get a good night's sleep.

Dean

8. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Your knees will benefit from a automatic truck. However do whatever you can to get that manual truck to the state test, that way they give you a license without a auto restriction should you pass.

My spouse was a marine until her knees failed on one too many 9 mile road marches. They gave her a hard time but they actually did fail. VA Surgery rebuilt them not too long ago. Even though she was admin but they treated her as infantry most of the time away from the desk which was alot. Then one day a helicopter with a slung load mashed her. And that was that.

She overcame all that to go trucking with me for a year until weight gain from bad diet such as it is took away what was left of her health. She liked it very much, shifting less so but ultimately the road food was not good for her.

School will teach you enough to get a license, you will start your real learning when you are told to run east bound and down from yakima to atlanta and be there in 5 days for real with your own truck. You will learn how to take in the national weather situation and then state by state where the action is during your trip planning. Even today I follow the USA weather pretty well and expect storms through the night in Arkansas and Missouri. And snow for some elsewhere.

Ive been away too many years and it probably will remain so. We'll see how it goes. Ive a second joint that is going to be implanted among other things this year. So not quite yet.

Odin's Rabid Dog Thanks this.
  9. Lonesome

Lonesome Mr. Sarcasm

Dec 15, 2007
    Northern Indiana
  10. DeanOfMac

DeanOfMac Bobtail Member

Jan 11, 2020
    Macomb, IL
    The blind-side parallel bit me on the arse. Waited too long to get the tractor in. Apparently that happens to 80% or so of the applicants in Illinois who fail the skills test the first time. I didn't want to be in the 84% who fail some portion of the CDL test in Illinois, but it is what it is.
    I was nervous and forgot to look for my drive wheels getting close to the boundary. One of my instructors gave me some additional training and encouragement. Try again Tuesday...

Lonesome and Coffey Thank this.
  11. DeanOfMac

DeanOfMac Bobtail Member

Jan 11, 2020
    Macomb, IL
    I passed my CDL testing! I am so relieved. My left knee has been elevated with an ice pack almost every night since mid January. The road test was tough. Two uphill stop/starts, four railroad crossings, two school zones, some highway. narrow streets and tough right and left turns. I asked the tester how I was doing at the half-way point and she said I was doing great. I got a 98/100. I almost flubbed the gear change going back into the DMV parking lot, but I managed to remember how to save it. It was that close!

I'm very thankful to this community for the encouraging words and helpful advice.

Now to take some time to go on a couple of college visits with my son (unless those get canceled) and interview with a grain/cattle hauler and a couple of regionals. Schneider is in the running also. I have three offers on the table now.

Dean

Vic Firth, Lonesome, Coffey and 5 others Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.