Debating in getting my own tractor.

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by jgarciajr40, Dec 12, 2021.

1. 401-Alex

401-Alex Light Load Member

Nov 25, 2013
    I don't need to justify why I run 3 k a week biweekly. To anyone that said if you get 3,4,5 a mile on all miles I'm doing it. My area has high toll lots of traffic and too many trucks and low rates so to leave and come back is already 1400 miles

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. RunningAces

RunningAces Road Train Member

Jul 2, 2017
    #### the naysayers and jump right in. If you can finance a tractor and get yourself leased onto someone that's the route I'd go with that amount of funds available. One truth about truckers and especially truckers on this site is they will always tell you not to get in for whatever reason is popular at the time. If you could buy truck, trailer, 1 yr insurance, and startup costs all at once they would tell you why you should finance everything instead. If you were financing something they'd say cash is king, don't finance. Good luck out there.

4. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
  5. PSM379

PSM379 Heavy Load Member

Apr 19, 2019
    I’ve seen you say this 2 times already on this forum. So you run a average of 750 miles a week and 150 miles a day? You have mentioned this twice to my knowledge and never mention the revenue generated at those miles. Would you mind sharing for Curious minds? (Broke down 3000 4 weeks/ 750 a week/ 150 miles a day 5 day work week)

I’m for working smarter not harder, if there is money to be made though and I end up running 3000 miles all miles for the week and gross revenue is $4.50 all miles for that 3000 miles I don’t see that as a negative. Now if I guy is pushing to run 3000 miles to average $2 all miles I do see that as a negative. So with your comments of you barely run 3000 miles a month, are you at $10 a mile all miles ran for the month or something?

Last edited: Dec 12, 2021
    401-Alex, SL3406 and blairandgretchen Thank this.
  6. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    You two are just in different places. We all are.

I might have 50,000 miles for the year. I'm good with that.

If I had the opportunity to run 150,000 miles a year at $4.50/mile, I probably wouldn't. I don't need or want to.

Have to remember it's different strokes for different folks in trucking.

Oxbow and PSM379 Thank this.
  7. PSM379

PSM379 Heavy Load Member

Apr 19, 2019

definitely get it. I also edited the post incase anyone was questioning my math, I broke down 750 miles a week for a 5 day work week, should of done 7 as I know some people’s weeks are different, so that be roughly 107 miles a day.

I also have no desire to run 150,000 at $4.50 a mile. If opportunity is knocking 1 week though and I run some miles with some tall revenue per mile I’m content with it, hanging around the house or just running a day or 2 in the following weeks works for me also. Like you said we are all in different circumstances in this interesting business

blairandgretchen Thanks this.
  8. abyliks

abyliks Road Train Member

May 2, 2010
    ludlow MA
    currently depending on who I am working for is $115-130 an hour, 4 hours to show up, anything over 4 is 8. It’s actually about 190 miles a day, roll out of the drive way a little before 6, turn the key off a little after 4,

reefer I was averaging a smidge over $3 a mile which then in turn blew any profit away sitting in doors for half the week, even then I was still only doing 12-1500 miles, I simply have no desire to spend every waking minute of my life in a 60” jail cell, I’ve spent enough time in them running 35-4000+ a week, 6, 7 days a week, running over weight, over hours etc.

I’ll probably go back under my reefer for a month or two when bucket work fizzles out after Christmas for a few weeks, but I’m simply over all of it.

9. 401-Alex

Nov 25, 2013
    I'll throw in my 2¢ at I usually only work 2. Weeks a month and strive for a work life balance. I'm not trying to live in a truck. I love my freedom and part of that is driving. I'm in the small state of RI. Stuck between Boston and new York. Screw them both. I'm not making money stuck in traffic. I like to drive so it's in the eyes of what you like. Yes I do weeks of almost 70 hrs but I've done 50 hr weeks to. If I break my drive line down to $per hr I'm doing somewhere around $120-130 per hour. And at that rate I'm taking ever hour I can then going home.

Speed_Drums Thanks this.
  10. abyliks

abyliks Road Train Member

May 2, 2010
    ludlow MA
    I’m actually in mass out by Springfield, done either local out here or northeast regional, upstate or pa, no jersey and I flat out refuse to ever go back to bozuttos in CT

Last edited: Dec 13, 2021
    Speed_Drums Thanks this.
  11. 401-Alex

Nov 25, 2013
    Never been to bozuttos probably never will don't like the reviews. I've taken a to running 90 and getting away from this area usually fuel @ the Broadstreet roady's not the best stop but cheapest in network fuel. I've looked and don't see the money here. Springfield is about 110 miles from me so you already got a headstart. We each do our own thing and that's what is great about trucking. White that comes the responsibility of everything else. I won't say don't buy a truck or don't do it but rather plan it out and don't overpay as it is this industry is out to bang you every turn you take and the better that you are ready for it the less it's felt. If one saved hard for 3-5 yrs and has 60k drops it on an upsidedown truck runs it for a week and something blows up that's very bad yes but it was also lack of planning

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.