Delaware River Bridge connecting NJ Tpk and PA Tpk closed indefinitely

Discussion in 'Truckers' Weather & Road Conditions' started by Studebaker Hawk, Jan 20, 2017.

1. Infosaur

Infosaur Road Train Member

They've been working on a massive project in that area for years. (New tolls, new connection to I-95, widening, etc.) apparently it was going to culminate in the construction of a new one way bridge.

Looks like now they're either going to have to widen this new proposed bridge or build two new bridges.

I said before the original bridge went up in two years, I wonder how long this will take?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. buzzarddriver

buzzarddriver Road Train Member

Feb 1, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    Aw, squirt a glob of Super Glue in there and worry about it in another 10 years.

bzinger Thanks this.
  4. supersnackbar

supersnackbar Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2007
    Your Town, USA
    Duct tape and a couple coat hangers will hold a few more years...maybe a little JB Weld for good measure.

bzinger Thanks this.
  5. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    Actually, if you click to read the follow-up article, an engineering professor says an improper repair of a mis-drilled hole is what caused the crack. When the bridge was built, they'd plug weld the mistake...but that creates a weak point with the high heat and dissimilar metals. Better option (and what is currently done) would be to put a bolt in the hole and tighten it up.

That and the bridge was inspected in 2014, painted in 2016, and the crack wasn't noticed. The crack also hasn't had time to rust, yet, either...which given the time of year and the chemicals used on the roads, means it was likely found pretty quick.

bzinger and tucker Thank this.
  6. tucker

tucker Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2008
    IN
    They updated that story after I posted, I imagined a small crack, not a big ibeam ripped in two.

I wonder how bad the traffic is up there now.

http://www.delawareonline.com/story...elaware-river-bridge-reopening-soon/97459540/

bzinger Thanks this.
  7. bzinger

bzinger Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2014
    omaha , ne
    Think I'll avoid that bridge for a while until a few 100k container haulers test it .

j76ny Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.