Detention and breakdown pay?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by avrgus3r, Apr 7, 2024.

1. avrgus3r

avrgus3r Bobtail Member

Aug 30, 2023
    Hi, does anybody know how much is detention and breakdown pay at Western Express? So far I got $35 a day for breakdown but they didn't pay me yet for detention and I feel like they're not going to pay me at all.

blairandgretchen Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    From one incident or several? The reason why I ask is because they are two different things for two different situations. You don’t get breakdown and detention. Breakdown pay is a day rate ($35/day is the lowest I have ever heard of). Detention pay is an hourly rate, usually starting after 2 hours at a customer but ending at 10 hours.

So, if you broke down, it’s not the customer fault therefore no detention. BTW, that $35/ day breakdown is absolutely pathetic. If you have lots of breakdowns, you will have to jump ship just to survive.

4. Allow Me.

Allow Me. Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 28, 2009
    Rancho Mirage, Ca.
    Detention is a fuzzy area. It starts after 2 hours usually. But the problem is getting the shipper or broker to pay it. In theory, it means the consignee has 2 hours to unload you. Well, that's just not happening every time/every consignee. The carrier is sometimes hesitant to bill the shipper/broker if said carrier does a lot of business and makes lots $$$ with that shipper.

tscottme, snowlauncher and Bud A. Thank this.
  5. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    That is truly terrible. A fast food worker in CA earns that in 1.75 hours.

Stick it out and get a better job.

Heck - babysitting their sick equipment, hotel and meals should be $200/day minimum.

6. Loudstacks

Loudstacks Light Load Member

Feb 29, 2020
    Florida
    Detention should be $25/hr after 1 hour with no cap, breakdown should be 250/day at least IMO across the board or more but I guess thats wishful thinking!

7. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    Yeah - when we were at ODFL it was $25/hr, until the wrecker arrived with a new power unit and dragged the failed unit away.

Swapping out gear and retrieving the fixed unit was a PITA, but we kept rolling. Usually within 4 hours.

If these OTR outfits want you to babysit a broken down power unit for $35/day - for a week - nope.

Driver shortage? Wonder why.

8. lual

lual Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2020
    SW Georgia
    The above posts/dialogue goes a long way with explaining why WE has the nickname, "Welfare Express".

To be fair -- other carriers are of course also guilty of the same $$$ shenanigans. And we don't really need to name any other names.

What follows below I'm sure others here will take issue with....& that's okay -- that is in part what forums like this are for....

---‐--------

Here's a different way to look at what's happening here, & explains (in part) how/why I stayed at my first CDL carrier well beyond a year:

When a person goes to college, to acquire a 4-year degree, he or she shells out big bucks for such....while instructors hurdle large quantities of info at them, & basically try to flunk them out (at least, for a while).

Thus -- the student is paying for an "education"...up front...& these days, with A LOT of money.

Conversely -- a first-year CDL driver is (even with the above discussed shenanigans) is BEING PAID (albeit modestly, most often) to learn a trade/profession (plus benefits).

Thus -- one can think of their first year with a carrier like WE as an "apprenticeship"....of sorts.

Instead of a college student who's paying out the ying-yang to be "abused"...by his/her professors.

Think about it.....

-- L

tscottme and Lilj Thank this.
  9. MSWS

MSWS Medium Load Member

Jun 30, 2022
    Think about it this way. If a company pays $500 per day layover and $30 per hour detention, what are they telling you? I'd say they're telling you that you won't be laid over or detained very often.

With that in mind, if your company is only paying you $35 per day layover and no detention, what are they telling you?

10. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    Most I’ve asked lately are getting detention after 2 hrs. Up to a maximum of whatever the layover pay is. Usually 6 hrs. detention = max= layover. Not a very good deal once past the max. May wait 16 hrs. for the same pay as 8 hrs.

11. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

There's the hypothetical version of Detention pay (the recruiters are happy to talk about that). There is the real definition of detention pay where certain customers NEVER pay detention so you will not get any. There are requirements like ifbyou are 1 minute late for appointment you get zero detention or you don't have an appointment because it is FCFS first come, first served.

I never worked for Western Express. At other companies I got maybe 10-25% of the detention pay I thought the rules said I should receive.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.