Detroit 60 crank no start

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by Lesjohnson1212, Nov 28, 2023.

1. Lesjohnson1212

Lesjohnson1212 Bobtail Member

Feb 23, 2021
    Hi first post need so help, got a 1997 Peterbilt 379 Detroit 60 12.7 that will crank but won't start.
    to start my truck was running then one day it wouldn't start any more, I've changed the TRS and SRS sensors 4 months ago got 4 new batteries new positive cables starter to battery box, new ECM(battery was busted) new fuel pump, new valve being the head of the engine, checked all fuses and even change the alternator before it stoped running, new fuel filters, cleaned all cables ends and grounds. when I turn the key volts show a 12.5 tried a jump starter got it to 13.3 still no start. when I try and start it volts go below 10volts idk what I'm doing wrong feels like I'm chasing my tail on this one.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Magoo1968

Magoo1968 Road Train Member

Mar 18, 2021
    St Malo mb
    Some have a little fuse on the wires near the battery for the ecm .

4. uncleal13

uncleal13 Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Humboldt, Sk
    There’s a check valve on the back of the head that feeds the fuel return line. If the check valve is shot you won’t be able to get enough fuel pressure that the ecm has to sense before it will fire the injectors.
    Also i had one that lost its fuel prime due to air getting into a fitting of one of the suction lines to the tanks.
    A fuel pressure gauge would help in both these instances.

5. pakob85

pakob85 Bobtail Member

Nov 29, 2023
    but is that possible after been workin Perfect, just next day don’t start. ?
    I’m asking because I have the same problem right now

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  6. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    The TRS and SRS - if one is faulty it prevents start, if the other is faulty it prevents run.

What was the original reason you changed them 4 months ago?

I had the same issue a couple of years back - ether started it, I didn't shut it off till home, replaced TRS/SRS and never happened again.

Ditto the above advice on verifying fuel flow too.

7. Lesjohnson1212

Feb 23, 2021

yea I changed that it was hard to get too btw lol.

8. Lesjohnson1212

Feb 23, 2021
    yea idk I'm think it was a because of the eco battery so when I got a new I found out the little battery inside it as bad but that didn't solve my problem.

9. Lesjohnson1212

Feb 23, 2021
    4 months a go it didn't wanna start similar to now so I replaced them both and it started right up didn't do that this time because I don't wanna believe the sensors went out in less than 4 months.

10. Smellfunny

Smellfunny Road Train Member

Jan 28, 2012
    South Carolina
    Pull the timing sensor out behind the air compressor and see if there is any metal on the probe end. If so then you have something going out on the front. Does the check engine lights come on when you switch the ignition on? If not then there is no power to the ECM. Check the fuses and the wires in battery box to make sure they are not losing power. I usually take a headlight and run wires from it to the power connector that hooks into the ECM to check the grounds and positives on the power plug. If you have ECM power and the timing sensors are ok then I would look at fuel pressure issues.

11. QUALITYTRUCK

QUALITYTRUCK Road Train Member

Jun 14, 2009
    romulus,mi
    Right on the money!!!

Rideandrepair and Smellfunny Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.