Did you go to Swift's Millington Academy?

Discussion in 'Swift' started by JustSonny, May 17, 2010.

1. boommm78

boommm78 Bobtail Member

May 23, 2010
    fl
    hay bigmikectn thanks for info about swit instrucktors, is this your experiance with them and if so did you have a good time or bad, also are you in school now or have you went through already, im starting in june hope ill have a good learning experiance to find out some new things after all everyone can all ways learn more that is to say im not a supertrucker but i do have cdl-b liscens but only endorsment is airbrakes, i got my cdl-a permit in april. if you have any more info please send it my way

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. bigmikectn

bigmikectn Medium Load Member

Nov 24, 2009
    Cleveland, TN
    Boom...I went to Millington in January of 2009. It was a great experience. I learned a lot. Remember, they are preparing you to get your CDL and that's it. What you need to learn about the JOB of driving comes when you get with a Swift Mentor after you get your CDL. That being said, I did pick the brains of the instructors at Millington and most of them gave me very straight answers about the life of being a professional driver.

Go in with an "I don't know crap" attitude and they will treat you just fine. Good luck and keep us informed on how it goes for you.

boommm78 Thanks this.
  4. NWTrkrs

NWTrkrs Bobtail Member

Apr 21, 2010
    The Great Northwest
    Well I heard it called Roach Coach too. But I kinda liked Maggot Wagon...

5. boommm78

boommm78 Bobtail Member

May 23, 2010
    fl
    hay bigmikectn sounds good to me, i dont know that much about life on the road how ever i have spent a few knights in my dually truck on long trips, and my grangfather and uncle were life time otr truckers. im going in to learn not to be a nowitall, lookforward to the cdl trianning i had good results with online cdl test that swift requires you to pass before accepting you into school, and i was wondering how thing work so thanks for info. hope to be teamed with a good mentor see ya later oh do you work at swift now or did you somewere els

6. bigmikectn

bigmikectn Medium Load Member

Nov 24, 2009
    Cleveland, TN
    Boom, I worked in radio for 30 years before I drove a truck. That is what I am doing now, but I am going back to work for Swift in July or August.

boommm78 Thanks this.
  7. boommm78

boommm78 Bobtail Member

May 23, 2010
    fl
    10/4 bigmikectn, maybe we will bump into eachother some time then, if you can offer some more info dont hesatate to send my way.

8. Countryboy231

Countryboy231 Bobtail Member

Sep 22, 2009
    Lafayette, Tn
    Maggot Wagon...,LOL!

9. raycrews06

raycrews06 Bobtail Member

Jul 5, 2010
    Dyersburg, TN
    Hey guys, Im 22 y/o and plan on contacting the academy in millington tomorrow about getting my CDL. I wanting to know what kind of loan or grant do they have you apply for and does swift pay for it or atleast help pay for it?

Also I plan on taking my DOT Physical and CDL Permits test this week on my own. Will that make my time there faster? or should I wait and take all that stuff there?

Ive contacted many schools and companies about employment and so far Swifts Millington academy is the closest ive found, since I live in Dyerbsurg...

10. Schmidtrock

Schmidtrock Light Load Member

Jan 8, 2010
    Palatka, FL
    Swift carries the note on the loan themselves at 0%. It is paid back from your paycheck for 13 months. Swift also will reimburse you for a period of 26 months. If you stay for the full 26 months it ends up costing you 0. You will be given a DOT Physical the first day at the Academy. So, unless your state requires you to have it for the permit testing, it's a waste of money. I do believe it is a DOT requirement but not all states will ask to see it before you take the permit tests.

11. raycrews06

raycrews06 Bobtail Member

Jul 5, 2010
    Dyersburg, TN

Ok kool! I got a call from Werner today, they have a school here in Dyersburg where I can go for 4 weeks. The school takes care of all the cost of the DOT Physical, CDL Permit.. Its $4,900 they sign you up for a grant that covers $4,000 so the $900 is left up to Werner. So right now im pretty stoked because the school is right behind my house. So its pretty much walking distance.

I dont know much about werner but so far ive talked to two different recruiters and they have both been really nice.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.