Dispatcher's Calling???

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by scotty, Dec 12, 2009.

1. scotty

scotty Light Load Member

Feb 22, 2007
    I'm aware that a company or dispather can call you durring your ten hour break ( in truck or sleeper ). What about if you are at home durring your ten hour break? Can they distrube you at your private residences?

Last edited: Dec 12, 2009
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Roadmedic

Roadmedic Road Train Member

Apr 4, 2007
    No. They will never call you at home while on your break. They know how important home time is.:biggrin_25526:

They will call whenever they want. Including the middle of the night when you are sleeping just to remind you that the load is important and has to be delivered.

4. truckerdave1970

truckerdave1970 On Probation

Dec 15, 2008
    Rochester, NY
    If they have your phone #, they can and WILL call anytime they feel like it! The only part that is illegal is if they interrupt your break repeatedly and you DONT log the interruption as on duty, not driving.
    I would only tell my interrupter 1 time, "If you disturb my break again, I WILL LOG IT AS ON DUTY,NOT DRIVING!". I never had to tell them again!
    If they keep you from resting or pursuing activities of YOUR choice, then YOU should log it correctly.

5. RickG

RickG Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Owensboro , KY
    Now who told you all that ?
    http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regu.../fmcsrruletext.aspx?chunkkey=09016334800232ad

6. truckerdave1970

truckerdave1970 On Probation

Dec 15, 2008
    Rochester, NY
    I give them 1 call or Qualcomm msg as they may not have known I was sleeping. After that...all bets are off. No more Mr. Nice truckdriver. THE 2ND call, they get a not-so-friendly reminder. There has yet to be a 3rd call!
    We cant keep allowing them to push us around like that.

7. stranger

stranger Road Train Member

Oct 10, 2006
    NC
    I turn my phone off when in the sleeper, and when local I did the same thing when I was sleeping at home. I tried telling these people I needed sleep, but that message didn't sink in easy. I've had them irritated at me, but I said I was on a mandatory sleep schedule, and was not going to be disturbed. I did offer to call him about 3 am to let him know how things were going on the truck, but he declined. No problems after that.

8. Scuby

Scuby Heavy Load Member

Mar 10, 2007
    I like Stranger turn off my phone when I'm on my 10. Also if your truck has Qualcomm there is a volume control. I turn it as low as possilbe. I also put it face so message light doesn't bother me.

9. Working Class Patriot

Working Class Patriot Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2008
    Wherever and Whenever...
    If you want the calls to end just answer with

"Joe's tattoos" or "Fred's Adult videos....."

C'mon...life's too short not to have any fun......:biggrin_2559:

10. lonewolf4ad

lonewolf4ad Road Train Member

Nov 4, 2008
    Displaced to Colorado
    just wake up shouting obscenities into the phone and hang up before they can talk.

11. Dna Mach

Dna Mach Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2008
    Texas
    Every Quallcomm I have had, the volume control only adjusts the key stroke, and dead end BEEP. The new messages just beep regardless of the volume control. However, duct tape, and a few layers of it, work just fine for silencing it. At least enough to not wake you.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.